Problems with upper shifter shoe meeting with lower shifter foot.

FixinStuff

Recruit
I have a Alpha one generation one outdrive. The lower shifter shoe and the upper shifter foot do not meet together. The gimbal shift lever will pass right over the top of the lowers shift liver. If I raise it up it will strike and shift. I was going to pull the lower in the morning and place a piece of metal on top of the shifter to force it to lift the foot high enough to engage the shoe. Any ideas or has anyone had this problem?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problems with upper shifter shoe meeting with lower shifter shoe.

sounds like the SS washer that should be on the splined shaft is missing.thats what sets the height
to mate with the upper shoe

FixinStuff

Recruit

Dude you are the man. Where does the washer go exactly ? If I have my lower off would i pull the shifter seal to get to it? Or would it be the on the upper?
Thanks

ziggy

Admiral

ya just set the wash down on top of the shift shaft. it just sits there.

002-4.jpg

a little out of focus. but ya can see it..

FixinStuff

Recruit

Wow.
So the whole story is that I took my old unit off to change the shifter seal because it was leaking. When i took it down there was no washer. (must have stuck to the shifter foot) So when it put it back together after replacing the seal the shift shoe and foot wouldn't engage each other. So I assumed it was a problem with the lower unit shifter because this was what I had messed with. So I removed the seal again and lifted the shifter up to check for alignment. Big mistake. When I did the shift crank fell down out of place. After about 7 hours of looking down the shift hole and trying to use a coat hanger to realign the shift rod and shift crank i realized it would have to come apart. At which point I was able to crack the case and destroy the unit. So I bought a new unit only to bolt it up and have the same problem all because of a #$%#%$ Darn Washer. Thanks for the help guys.