Teflon tape on fuel fittings???

jordelheide

Cadet
Anyone have any thoughts on using teflon tape on fuel fittings?? If not teflon, is there some other thread treatment that would be safe for fuel fittings?<br /><br />Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teflon tape on fuel fittings???

I think teflon is the way to go. Just make sure you do not allow any of it to get into the fitting.<br /><br />Other sealants might be disolved by the gas and end up in the motor. Permatex #2 is disolved by gas, and hi temp silicone is affected as well.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jokin1:<br />Teflon tape is great for threaded parts, as long as both are metallic. Worst case is a metallic male threaded part with a female nylon part...the hoop stress exerted on the nylon will cause failure, cracking the part. There are a number of liquid and paste products available specifically for fuel lines, most automotive parts suppliers stock them. I would recommend them over the teflon tape, although I have used teflon many times.

Trent

Captain

Use permatex #2 non-hardening. Any autoparts store will have it.

Capt. T

Seaman

Depends on what part of the fuel system. <br /><br />For piping connections I've used Teflon tape on my MGA for many years w/o problem.<br /><br />If you need to seal a gasket, e.g. fuel tank sending unit (the Brits used to put them on the SIDE of the tank) the best thing I've found is "Aviation Form-A-Gasket". This stuff is completely resistent to standard automotive/boating gasoline.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you are talking about a pipe thread fitting, then a sealer of some sort would be good. But if you are talking about a flare fitting, then sealer is unnecessary at best - it is the pressure against the flare that seals the fitting, not any kind of sealer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE<br /> over the years I have had to remove more teflon fibers from carb and pump passages than you have ever used. the stuff makes me a lot of money but causes a lot of aggrevation. use perfect seal or gel sealII on the pipe threads and nothing but oil on the flare fittings. no amount of sealant on a flare fitting will help seal it. pipe thraeds are interfernce fit and designed to seal. flare fitting threads are not designed to seal.<br /> good luck and throw away the teflon tape or show me in the service manual and training guides where it says to use it.