mercruiser 260 tilt / trim problem

rp1313

Recruit
Hello, great forum. been reading for a while still can't seem to find the answer.

i have a 1980 glastron intimidator, mercruiser 260 (350 sbc) ser# 5498974 with a pre-alpha outdrive ser# 5528158 1.5 OR.

trims up fine, only trims halfway down then stops and pump motor starts to wine like it is all the way down.

any help is greatly appreciated.

does anyone have links to the serv manuals?

thanks,
rob p

PA120042.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 260 tilt / trim problem

trims up fine, only trims halfway down then stops and pump motor starts to wine like it is all the way down.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...

Does the drive move freely when the rams are disconnected,..??

rp1313

Recruit

yes, the drive moves freely when disconnected.

when connected, i can push the drive the rest of the way down, while someone presses the down button.

when isolated and disconnected from the drive, the starboard ram pulls all the way in fine. with both they don't pull in all the way.

Bondo

Staff member

the starboard ram pulls all the way in fine.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like ya otta be lookin' closer at the portside ram I guess.....;)

rp1313

Recruit

prolly, i picked up two rebuild kits for the rams.

any links to the manuals?

rp1313

Recruit

got the wrong kits fr the rams. brought the ram to the marine center, they had a hard time even finding a kit for it. after inspecting it they said it looked to be in good working order. very clean inside and out with no corrosion/rust.

rams are pre-alpha with both connectors on back side.

is there a pressure relief valve on this system that may be suck or in need of replace?

boat was left in storage with the trim up for several years.

any links to the serv mans?

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

There use to be a link on iboats to the merc service manual, but IDK what happened to it... Just wanted to say that is a very cool looking boat... Looks to be very loud too.

Look to see if you can find what you are looking for in here... I didn't download it, but used this site for my OMC manual... Pretty good.. You can print off the pages needed then use the page to wipe your dipstick:D My manual is on the table...

http://search.4shared.com/q/1/mercruiser

Bumbee

Recruit

I had this same problem last year. I found out that I was LOW on fluid. Check your fluid level in the reservoir. Being a Hydraulics guy I know that when you are running the pump after a few cycles of the pump if you are low it will start to cavitate the motor and is triing to work with whatever residual fluid is left.

Just a thought.

rp1313

Recruit

i checked the fluid, it's full.