The best epoxy/jb weld for exhaust side block externel crack

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: The best epoxy/jb weld for exhaust side block externel crack

I saw a fella stitch a crack on a block one time.. I was pretty interesting.. Looked tough when it was done.Couldn't tell ya how long it lasted. Still filled in with JB weld though... Was for sure some poor boy engineering

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Actually stitching a block was not all the uncommon. Now of course, the philosophy is to throw everything away and replace. Good advice above though. For just the cooling jacket, properly prepped jb weld will hold fine as long as the crack is not very wide.

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice

ok so now im lost what is stitching ? i assume that is welding maybe lol just need to get my baby through this season and maybe next then will get a new long block unless i find a helluva deal on one before then

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

No not welding... What they do is drill little holes all along the crack.. then fill the holes with bolts screws.. Whatever...Here I found these instructions online..

#

Drill the holes for the stitching pins. This is done with the drill spacing fixture and your drill. The holes are drilled along the length of the crack. Note that the spacing fixture will leave space between each hole.
#

Spotface the holes to accept the shoulders of the stitching pins. Be careful not to spotface too deep - make sure you know how thick the casting walls of your block are and keep in mind that you need at least four threads in the casting after tapping.
#

Tap the holes using the special tap provided with your kit.
#

Install the first set of stitching pins. Review the kit instructions. Generally the pin heads will break off when a certain torque is reached.
#

The second set of holes are drilled between the first set of installed pins. Again, spotface and tap these holes, and install the stitching pins.
#

Drill holes in any remaining spaces between the installed pins, spotface and tap. Then install the final stitching pins.
#

Locks are used to supply additional strength to the metal repair. Determine lock placement based on the specific instructions given with your kit. Depending on your crack and the repair kit you purchase, you may need to install more than one lock. Now drill the lock pattern or patterns into the block using the supplied drill jig.
#

Hammer the lock or locks into place. The lock helps keep the crack from extending and keeps the repair tight.
#

Grind down the repair to be flush with the surrounding metal. Inspect for gaps and make sure that the crack is completely repaired. You may then texture the repair using a needle scaler. You are done!

Things You'll Need:

* Metal stitching kit from Lock-n-Stitch.
* Hand held drill
* Hammer
* Die grinder

I don't really think it has to be that fancy.I never even heard of lock n stitch pins. I saw it done with regular bolts.. Ground down smooth.. It looked tough... If ya couldn't get away with a replacement for awhile.. I would look into it..

Good Luck

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice

thanks alot i will look into that I need to baby her through this season and maybe the next then it will be time for a new long block

Bondo

Staff member

thanks alot i will look into that I need to baby her through this season and maybe the next then it will be time for a new long block

Ayuh,... Butter it up with epoxy, 'n if it ain't cracked internally, it'll run til 'ell freezes over...

As for the Stitching,...
It Can't be done in that block, in that location, Anyways....
It woud cause the top deck of the block to bulge, 'n the head will never properly seal....

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice

AHHHHHHH that makes perfect sense bondo dropped lower unit and changed impeller yesterday but rain stopped me before i got it remounted next will be working on the crack seeing as there is still 2 - 4 weeks before we have good solid boating weather here

Bondo

Staff member

AHHHHHHH that makes perfect sense bondo dropped lower unit and changed impeller yesterday but rain stopped me before i got it remounted next will be working on the crack seeing as there is still 2 - 4 weeks before we have good solid boating weather here

Ayuh,... Good luck with it Matt....

Maybe you could find some Punctuation in the mean time,....
Not bytchin', just saying....
It'd make yer posts Easier to read for This ole Grease Monkey....;)

matthew colgate

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that , Got the lower unit back on . That was the over heating problem ....... And now that the water is circulating the above mentioned crack is just barley dripping .