Leak around the transom

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Leak around the transom

when I tightened the bolt up

How did you tighten it? I'm not 100% sure on the gen 2's, but on an Alpha, the lowest two bolts are actually carriage style blots that fit into a square hole on the transom assembly and the nut is on the inside of the boat. There is also a stud that goes aft for a zinc.

Here's a pic:

MER55989A8.jpg

Jamz3333

Seaman

How did you tighten it? I'm not 100% sure on the gen 2's, but on an Alpha, the lowest two bolts are actually carriage style blots that fit into a square hole on the transom assembly and the nut is on the inside of the boat. There is also a stud that goes aft for a zinc.

Here's a pic:

MER55989A8.jpg

It is a carriage style bolt. I just come from the inside and tightened it with a socket. I couldn't see the other bolt due to the exhaust being in the way so I will have to figure something out there. Hopefully it's not loose though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the one you tried was loose, the transom is rotten. Those bolts just don't come loose. They have Nylon lock nuts on them.
You also have a Gen II drive, no through bolts.

Jamz3333

Seaman

If the one you tried was loose, the transom is rotten. Those bolts just don't come loose. They have Nylon lock nuts on them.
You also have a Gen II drive, no through bolts.

The nut that i tightened didnt look like a lock nut. would there be a chance that who ever had the boat before me put a different nut on it? the bottom of the transom bolt is a carriage style that goes through the transom plate. if the transom is rotten would it have any give to it? like if you pushed on it or put pressure on the outdrive? ive never had to deal with a rotten transom so i dont know how this works.

Jamz3333

Seaman

Earlier in this post I said that the leak was coming in between the transom plate and the transom, well I took it to the lake and I saw that it is actually coming in and running down the inner transom plate. Now its not leaking around the driveshaft so I dont think it is the drive bellow. So it is somewhere in between Im guessing. Besides the transom being shot (which I hope it's not) Where else would water come in at? I also noticed when a wave hit the back of the boat water would rush in more sudden than as if it was just sitting in calm water.

Bondo

Staff member

Earlier in this post I said that the leak was coming in between the transom plate and the transom, well I took it to the lake and I saw that it is actually coming in and running down the inner transom plate. Now its not leaking around the driveshaft so I dont think it is the drive bellow. So it is somewhere in between Im guessing. Besides the transom being shot (which I hope it's not) Where else would water come in at? I also noticed when a wave hit the back of the boat water would rush in more sudden than as if it was just sitting in calm water.

Ayuh,... There's ONLY 1 way to find a leak,...
Even though you've done it, you ain't doin' it well enough...
Ya gotta LOOK, 'n track it down to Exactly where it's Leakin'....

It don't matter where somebody else had a leak, 'cause that 1 ain't Your leak...

Is the exhaust pipe leakin',..??

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

You never said whether it was wet in the area where the steering lever goes throught the transom plate. It takes 5 seconds to stick your fingers in that area, to see if it's an Upper Swivel Shaft Seal leak. Your last post about a "wave hitting the transom" suggests a leak that may be affected by water level, which is definitely what a swivel shaft leak is.

Jamz3333

Seaman

You never said whether it was wet in the area where the steering lever goes throught the transom plate. It takes 5 seconds to stick your fingers in that area, to see if it's an Upper Swivel Shaft Seal leak. Your last post about a "wave hitting the transom" suggests a leak that may be affected by water level, which is definitely what a swivel shaft leak is.

ok yea I know i never checked the steering lever, it will be a couple weeks before Im able to get it back on the water so Ill let you guys know what I find out. It almost seemed like it was the exhaust, but its always under water so the waves shouldn't really effect that right?

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well......depth below the water's surface does change the pressure, and the deeper a leak goes, the more flowrate should occur..........generally....but, it's usually not a real drastic change.
But, swivel shaft seals are generally slightly above waterline, if/until people board the boat or water levels rise at the transom (i.e. a wave).
It's just a quick check to rule that leak out.