How many hours are too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many hours are too many?

If I couldnt get more than a thousand hours on a mill I would drive my truck through the dealers lobby with the boat attached.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

my 4.3 has 800 hrs and I personally know of a bunch more with 1000+ (heads still original)... I don't thinks they should require new heads at under 500 if properly maintained these along with 5.7's are likely the most durable and popular marine engines out there. That's my 2 cents worth anyway :p

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If I could only get 500 hours on a gas engine before rebuild/overhaul, there's no way I would buy it.

I have 575 hrs on 2 7.4L Mercruisers and they are as strong as ever. It's all in how you treat them and maintain them.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your advice. I'm seriously considering a 99 1850 Bayliner Capri, with a 4.3 Mercruiser. The boat is in excellent condition, but the engine has 424 hours on it. This seems rather high to me from my limited knowledge / research. It has a full 6 monthly service history, and just had a fairly major service, involving replacing cylinder head. I'm confident it has been well looked after, but the seller is not offering any concession on the price in light of what I think are high hours. Should I be wary of an engine with this much use? Thanks in advance. Chris

Too many is relative to how well it was kept up. 100 hours and beating it to death without maintaining could be a disaster.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

1963 river queen house boat. 7000 hrs on a 225 slant six Chrysler. This motor has never been run over 3000 Rpm My old man would slap me down. It dont do much good anyway you can only push a barge so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.