5.7 Mercruiser drain locations

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I found five drain plugs for my 2001 5.7 but the Seloc manual mentions there may be another one in the "water tube" in the carbureted models. I looked all around don't see anything that looks similar. Am I missing something? Also, when I filled the engine with antifreeze, I poured the AF into the the large hose going to the water pump. After about two gallons, the AF started coming up through the thermostat housing. Would that indicated the thermostat is stuck open or missing? Or, is there a bypass to allow some AF to flow through even when the thermostat is closed?

Attachments

• full_32082g185.jpg
    full_32082g185.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 5.7 Mercruiser drain locations

I have never seen that drain plug before. But if you looked and dont have it then dont worry about it. You did not mention that you drained the water from the power steering cooler. You will want to do that if not done already.

As for the thermostat. There is a bypass that will allow A/F to get there...

MercruiserV-10.jpg

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. Great diagrams. I didn't see the PS cooler or drain but I'll look again today. Is the PS cooler just a fluid/fluid cooler? The Seloc show a slightly different diagram, which I believe I have.

Attachments

• full_32088g24.jpg
    full_32088g24.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

There is no drain on the PS cooler. You have to loosen the hose clamps and remove the hose to let it drain...

SELOC manuals are a very generic manual. You can see it in the pics that we just put up. Look at mine and then look at the Seloc. Mercruiser is very detailed.

You can use the Seloc manual as a reference or to use as a knee pad, but get yourself the OEM service manual if you want the job done right.

Here is a link to download the REAL manual...

http://www.4shared.com/document/XC08xfct/Mercruiser_Service_Manual_31_2.htm

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did the online subscription thing for Seloc. Yes, I have noticed some of information is a little generic. To clarify, I pulled the five drain plugs(plus stiff wired them) and disconnected the four hoses at the thermostat housing a let sit for two days. I then put new drain plugs in with Permatex Aviation sealant and poured antifreeze into the four hoses until no more would go in. I got about three gallons total in.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Well the link above is for the OEM manual and wont cost you a penny.

I have never sealed my plugs, It just makes it harder to take off the next time.

All sounds good except for the PS cooler...

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

From the looks of it, the PS cooler is in the hose between the outdrive pickup and thermostat housing, correct? After I filled the hoses with AF, I noticed the AF coming of the the water inlets in the outdrive. Can I assume I displaced any water sitting in the PS cooler or dilluted it enough to be safe? From the looks of my diagram, the PS cooler is behind the back of the engine and doesn't look very fun to get to.