Shifter/Throttle Control Replacement

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

Just bought a new boat, 1986 Formula 206 Spider with Merc 350/Alpha one. I like the boat a lot but i really don't like the stock Quicksilver shifter/throttle. I am wondering how hard it would be to switch this unit out for Gaffrig or Livorsi controls like the one in this link:

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13122-arched-handle-throttle-shifter-controls.aspx

I have never changed these controls before so I am wondering how big of a project I am getting myself into. I know the shift interruptor switch is in there. There don't appear to be any trim switches on the current shifter, but there will be on the new one. Are there some instructions that would help to install new controls? Basically, how involved is this project, and is it something that can be done without help?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    Shifter.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 3

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Shifter/Throttle Control Replacement

i have never installed one of the style shifters you linked to, so i can't attest as to how easy/hard it will be, but...

you want to make sure you have enough clearance for the new shifter assy, this includes underneath the dash

you will probably need new shift and throttle cables as well

be sure that the new shifter can attain the same distance throw for both throttle and shift as the OEM one

i personally like the style shifter you are looking to replace, basically bulletproof, until the splines wear out on the handle - the trim button is on top of the handle

greg82255

I must have missed that trim button. I haven't actually picked up the boat yet, just went to take a look at it. Buying it this weekend. A new shift cable involves removing the drive to pull it out, right?
It doesn't necessarily have to be the same shifter as the link I sent, I just like having 2 separate levers for shifting and throttle.
Is there a way to find out if I will need new cables? Also, what about the shift interruptor switch wiring?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

no need to pull the drive

you most likely will need new cables, or at least new cable ends, but just replace the cables seeing as how you are in there

the shift interrupt will not be affected by a new remote/cable setup as long as you maintain the specified throw of the cable

greg82255

Is the shift interrupt just 2 wires entering the controls? If so then that doesn't seem like a problem. I assume the trim wires are the same too.

As for the shift cable, I have always heard that you need to pull the drive to replace the shift cable. How would you do that without removing the drive?

Bondo

Staff member

Is the shift interrupt just 2 wires entering the controls?

Nope, that's the neutral safety switch...
As for the shift cable, I have always heard that you need to pull the drive to replace the shift cable.

The 2 cables in the controller go to the motorbox, where 1 goes to the throttle, 'n the other goes to the shift plate, where the shift switch is, 'n where the Lower shift cable attaches from the outdrive...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have always heard that you need to pull the drive to replace the shift cable.

Mercruiser uses 2 shift cables, not just one. The lower shift cable goes from the shift plate on the engine to the outdrive, that is the one that you must pull the drive for. The other cable (the one you should replace) goes from the engine shift plate to the helm control. No reason to pull the drive for it.

greg82255

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I assume that if I call Livorsi or CP Performance they will be able to tell me the right cables that I need.

So I assume that the only wires I will need to reconnect are the neutral safety switch and trim switches. is the shift interruptor switch also there, or is it activated somewhere else?

greg82255

Thanks for the link, now I see that changing the shifter has nothing to do with the shift interrupt. I'm going to call CP Performance tomorrow and ask them what new cables will fit with the new shifter and my motor.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Utahboatnut

You migh also look at the Teleflex Morse stuff it is very nice they offer a number of different stylings and setups and they are priced well(no not cheap junk). I'm not sure on your particular setup but I know they do make models that are direct replacements for merc stuff. You can use the same control box cables, wires, etc. Even tho your trim/tilt are in seperate locations off the handle it is nice to have them right there on the stick but they sell just the plain handles as well.. Might be worth checking out.