Oh no! Now what? Starter bolt hole cracked.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class
1993 Merc 4.3LX.
Pulled the starter, pulled the motor and replaced the ring gear.
While putting things back together I found the hole that supports the starter is cracked. Probably why I had to replace the ring gear.

How can I fix this?

Attachments

• bolthole.jpg
    bolthole.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oh no! Now what? Starter bolt hole cracked.

1993 Merc 4.3LX.
Pulled the starter, pulled the motor and replaced the ring gear.
While putting things back together I found the hole that supports the starter is cracked. Probably why I had to replace the ring gear.

How can I fix this?

I agree that is what messed up your ring gear. Only fix is a new block or a competent welder and a good machinist. Either way that motor has gotta come out. Sorry...

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

weldiing it will only create problems

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Just thinking out loud. Did some digging around and it seams some hot rod guys with busted blocks use this trick. I have no idea if it will work, but what the heck...

Problem would be finding a marine grade starter for a SBC 265. Or maybe you can put the nose cone from a 265 starter on a marine starter motor...

http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.asp...Category=49479621-6589-48ec-87b5-ceabc840a895

coheej

Petty Officer 2nd Class

weldiing it will only create problems

Welding is fine if done by someone competent in welding cast iron.
I've had head bolt holes welded and they were fine.
You might see if a staggered bolt pattern starter would fit and drill a new hole.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is one of the worst I have seen, but since basicly you have nothing to loose, you could peal that chunk out. Take a die grinder and rough it up pretty good, fill it with JB Weld and thn redrill and retap the hole. I have gotten away with this when PART of it was broken, but I will say this is worse than one I had to fix.
IMG_0011.jpg

This block held about two years......

coheej

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hadn't looked at your picture before I suggested you look for a staggered starter. Outside hole so it won't help.
I saw one block several years ago, where someone took a starter bolt and cut the head off of it and welded it in upside down. Then they just put a nut on the threaded portion after the starter was in place.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that counter bore in the block for the starter holes, look close its there.
its sole function in life is to grab the knurled portion of the NEW starter bolt and hold the fastener tightly preventing any lateral walking.
the new PGM starters made the issue worse and the quickest way to shear bolts and break blocks is reusing a starter bolt on a PGM starter or under torqueing the bolt.
you can try having it welded, you will be out the cost of whatever the welder charged at worst.
if it doesnt work your back to replacing a block.
never seen a weld hold long there but you can try it.
problem with welding cast iron is about the same as machining it. its kinda like a hard sandstone.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Only thing I can think of to do with out pulling the motor is to glue a stud in with J-B weld and use a nut. Looks like you still have over half of the diameter of the hole.

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only thing I can think of to do with out pulling the motor is to glue a stud in with J-B weld and use a nut. Looks like you still have over half of the diameter of the hole.
I have done this before on sb chevy's. It will work and will be strong. No need to pull the motor, just take your time and don't use quick set jb. Get the long set it will hold better. Comes for people either over-torquing or cross threading the bolt. Starter bolts do not go on with breaker bars or impact guns. Not saying you did it. ;)

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you go to the time to jerk the motor out, I would definately try JB weld, drill the hole back out, and tap it. To be honest, even with a competent welder, cast is very difficult to get to hold.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

I'm on board with the JB welding a stud in there and then using a nut on the other side of the starter.. If that didn't work my attempt would be to mig weld a stud to the block.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and end the end, you will most likly replace the block.
if you attepmt the JB weld or weld method go find the big case old stye delco starter.
if you use the late style PGM it will crack again fairly quick.

cr2k

Captain

Once you get the bolt JB'd in take and drill the proper size to put a roll pin through both the block and the bolt for extra holding power.

A staggered starter won't work as the staggered bolt is inside one. The broken hole shown is the hole common the both starters.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input. I've got the engine pulled because I had to replace the ring gear. Found this problem, and am still not sure which direction to go with the repair.
This little tab to mount the starter to, seems like such a weak point. I can't believe there isn't some kind of brace, adapter plate, or repair available for it.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A competant welder should have no problems repairing that. Cast iron needs to be preheated and then peened after the weld is completed. The only thing to be aware of is that the starter/block mating surface must be true or you'll end up crackig the block again or the starter nose. The auto version did have a bracket that attached to the end of the starter to the block.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think if I was going to weld it, which would be my choice also, then I'd also have a piece of steel welded around it like a brace.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is quite an interesting process. I've heard of it, but never really investigated it. Looks like a lot less work really.