gimbal bearing replacement

blueyacht

Cadet
K- should be a simple one for most of you out there.
merc. 165 gimbal bearing. In regards to lube and installation, the new bearing has a hole on the outer perimeter...which direction should this be placed when installing? Also in regards to lubrication...it would make sense to rub some lube around the bearing for ease of installation, but what about overall lubrication? Firstly, should I clean out the existing lube that was sitting behind the old bearing? Secondly, the gimbal housing has a tip for a lube gun, is this what lubes the bearing housing?...anything else I should know?..
Oh, one last thing....another post-er mentioned that the retaining ring doesnt need to be reinstalled. Is this true, and if so, why was it there to begin with? (as it was a pain in the a** to remove)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimbal bearing replacement

retaining ring was used on the very early unit that didnt have the grease fitting. You dont list a year or serial number but it will accept the newer style gimbal bearing. If you do have the fitting on the side of the transom ,line up the hole with the grease fitting hole, usually around 5:00 and install untill fully seated

ziggy

Admiral
Re: gimbal bearing replacement

which direction should this be placed when installing?
absolutely in line with the hole in the carrier.
Also in regards to lubrication...it would make sense to rub some lube around the bearing for ease of installation, but what about overall lubrication?
ya wanna lub the brgs. inbetween the inner and outer race. this is done via the grease zerk found on your gimble housing.
Firstly, should I clean out the existing lube that was sitting behind the old bearing?
seems like a good idea. it isn't doing anything. it's just excess lub from over lubing.
Secondly, the gimbal housing has a tip for a lube gun, is this what lubes the bearing housing?...
this lubs the brgs. inbetween the inner and outer brg. races.
anything else I should know?..
according to mercruiser, ya wanna replace the brg + the carrier. they are a mated pair from the oem. ya wanna read mercruiser service bullitein 85-26 http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/85/85_26.pdf

lastly, i've read that the snap ring isn't necessary. i put mine back though. ya can make some big snap ring pliers with some long needle nose pliers that i got for cheap at harbor freight.