problem adjusting valves at gm350 carburated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem adjusting valves at gm350 carburated

when i was adjusting the valves of my engine (i bought the block with heads new last year but hasn't still worked properly) i find out that at three cylinders when i was adjusting the nut 1 turn back the compression was lower.Doing a leakdown test i find out that the leak stopped at 1/2 to 1/4 turn back of the intake valve.At that point the compression got higher (190 instead of 175).At which point should i adjust the valves? May this thing happen at a brand new block ? Does this thing may mean something?
    (Bond-O no,no, not yet....)

Re: problem adjusting valves at gm350 carburated

Are you doing it on a hot running engine or the static cold method? if the latter, the lifter probably doesn't have enough oil in it, you have adjusted too far down past 0 lash to start with, or you have bad lifters. Also, if your intake valves have tuliped, it may cause a similiar issue.

Comment

Here is a video I made that shows you how to adjust the valves. Yes its on a 3.0 but its the same procedure for adjusting them on your 5.7 its just in a different order and you give one complete turn on the nut instead of 3/4. If you want to adjust the one rocker, just bring that piston up on TDC during compression stroke. You can adjust both rockers then if you want...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....justment+video

sigpic

1969 StarCraft Chieftain, 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II

Link To Restoration Page

----------------------------------------------------

Its What I Don't Say You Should Be Worried About...

Comment

when i was adjusting the valves of my engine
        Ayuh,.... How,..?? Exactly, are you doin' the adjustin',..??

As noted above, it sounds like yer gettin' 'em too tight...

Comment

If you bought a new block with heads, why are you adjusting the rocker arms? It should already be done. Or I'm missing something. I have always adjusted them wet, with the valve covers off, engine running, oil clips on, zero lash plus 1/2 turn.
          1986 Century Riviera 6 Meter 350/260 Alpha 1

Comment

6meter's method NEVER fails!

Comment

Working...
            X