problem adjusting valves at gm350 carburated

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
when i was adjusting the valves of my engine (i bought the block with heads new last year but hasn't still worked properly) i find out that at three cylinders when i was adjusting the nut 1 turn back the compression was lower.Doing a leakdown test i find out that the leak stopped at 1/2 to 1/4 turn back of the intake valve.At that point the compression got higher (190 instead of 175).At which point should i adjust the valves? May this thing happen at a brand new block ? Does this thing may mean something?
(Bond-O no,no, not yet....)

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: problem adjusting valves at gm350 carburated

Are you doing it on a hot running engine or the static cold method? if the latter, the lifter probably doesn't have enough oil in it, you have adjusted too far down past 0 lash to start with, or you have bad lifters. Also, if your intake valves have tuliped, it may cause a similiar issue.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a video I made that shows you how to adjust the valves. Yes its on a 3.0 but its the same procedure for adjusting them on your 5.7 its just in a different order and you give one complete turn on the nut instead of 3/4. If you want to adjust the one rocker, just bring that piston up on TDC during compression stroke. You can adjust both rockers then if you want...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=435011&highlight=rocker+adjustment+video

valveadjust.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

when i was adjusting the valves of my engine

Ayuh,.... How,..?? Exactly, are you doin' the adjustin',..??

As noted above, it sounds like yer gettin' 'em too tight...

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

If you bought a new block with heads, why are you adjusting the rocker arms? It should already be done. Or I'm missing something. I have always adjusted them wet, with the valve covers off, engine running, oil clips on, zero lash plus 1/2 turn.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

6meter's method NEVER fails!