Replace I/O Water Pump

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well my friend and I did it today; we ran his 165 mercruiser w/250 GM in line, doing carb repair work, and both of us thought the other turned on the water hose - now, we get no water. We assume we burned up the water pump in the outdrive. Question - is the removal and replacement of the water pump impeller in a 165 mercruiser a projec that someone with no experience doing this should do?? I have been told that it is not the removal that is the problem, it is getting it back together correctly that is the issue. What do ya'll think?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replace I/O Water Pump

Go to the top of this page......<br />Click on Manuals......<br />Buy 1.....<br />READ It......<br />Then, It's a Piece of Cake.....<br /><br />BTW, Buy the Complete Waterpump Kit.... I'm betting you Fried the housing Too....

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks bondo, got a book, have read it, seems simple enough. Guess we'll have to give it a shot. Best price, so far, in owners area (Orange Beach, AL) is $250.00 for a repair shop to do it.

Bondo

Staff member

If you've got an Early Mod.1, with the Plastic Flush Screw in the gearhousing, You'll need Part # 18-3321.... That's $77.56 list, $43.30 if your NAPA Auto Parts Guy Likes You....<br />Or, If you've got the Late Mod.1, You'll need #18-3317.... $65.60 list, $36.83 jobber...<br /><br />That's the Complete , w/housings...<br />At your local NAPA...

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks man. How do I know if it is a late model or an early model??

Bondo

Staff member

Early Mod.1, with the Plastic Flush Screw in the gearhousing,