rotten wire in outdrive

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: rotten wire in outdrive

ID rather have the gauge workingin dash then the limiting switch .....wich is the gauge on the right or on the left (pilot view) ?

Forget left - right - pilot view, etc. Get used to saying port and starboard. Makes things much easier! ;)

I believe the switch and sender come packaged together. Forget trying to splice the wires. If you really want it to work, it is best to simply replace the two complete switch / sender assemblies. Instructions here.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trim sender puck on the starboard side is probably a dummy one, there s nothing in there altho it looks like.
If you want to have a trim gauge to work with the mercruiser trim sender it must be suited for the mercruiser sender ohm range of 10-167 ohm.
Look around some for the sender/limmit switch package as prices may differ, I got me a new set for $70.
Good luck!

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1) both sides have wires .....

2) the engine is in :D
installed the rubber coupling while lowering the engine ....

the bowels are both in perfect shape cleaned them up and treated them with silicone lube ....
the gasket between the outdrive and transom part is cracked, ill get a new one ...

now ,to rent a dummy shaft to align the engine correctly whith the gimbal bearing ...there is a boat mecanic just out of my village ....

is the hole surrounded by a rubber "0" ring the exhaust output ? kind of small if so....

NHGuy

Captain

No the O ringed hole is where water gets fed into the boat, the bottom hole at the center is the exhaust.
You might as well get yourself an alignment tool of your own, it's necessary for the future, costs about $28 plus shipping on e-bay. You will need a drive to bellhousing gasket too, they come in kits with extra o rings and etc. Maybe check your u-joints and impeller first, there are many kits available that combine some of the parts. You can get them from E-bay or mercstuff.com, or boatfix.com, or iboats.com or your local Mercruiser dealer.
Good luck and have fun. Remember it's not work, it's a hobby that ends up with zipping across the water.

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, this morning went to the boat mechanic shop ,
bought the gasket kit ,including the O rings , and new impeller ....
he lended me the shaft free .....

said the shaft has to go in free ......

how free does it supposed to be ...
if I push hard ( both hands) it will go in but hard to pull out

I played up & down with the front engine mount stud to the point where it woulndt go in at all.......but it is never free like ,easy to slide in & out with no pressure .....
is it ok ?

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

definitely wrong then ......but i played with front stud up & down , never been easy to slide in .....

and I dont see how I could move the engine sideways .....
even the 3 mounts have no side move system ....

I have a 3.0L with 3 mounts ....1 at the front

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grease the first section of the tool and slide it in the coupler, pull it straight out and see on the grease marks where the friction is, it can be that the rear mounting spring and washer need replacement. Also rotate the engine 1/4 time (12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock) to verify the proper alignment.
Good luck!

bigdan1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well finaly done ....

after 4 hours of doing , undoing, raising ,lowering the engine .....

I went to see the boat mechanic...... he said is your bearing loose in the housing ? is it supposed to be ? why dint he tell me so this morning :mad:
he told me to get the shaft in the bearing and just give it a little wack on the side , presto the bearing was loose and the shaft went in no friction

I changed the rubber impeller, even if it looked new ....
new "0" rings , greased all the moving parts ...

and now the outdrive is back on there.....

now the wiring harness nightmare ! tomorrow! enough for today ! beer time