gimbal bearing replacement, is transom destroyed?!?!?

rjsimon2nd

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1999 volvo penta 5.0gi with sx-m outdrive. Just bought it, not my first boat, but first time doing it myself.

Removed the outdrive to grease and inspect. Found the gimbal bearing totally destroyed, inner race in two pieces, bellows boot ripped, need some advise, never saw a transom beveled out like this one is from getting hit by driveshaft, so I replace it or just use it, no cracks other than where the aluminum is mushed out. also, where do I find parts online? I have been hunting and all I can find is the bellows boot, and a driveshaft, I would like to do just the u-joints, but says not servicable. I see no reason why.

any part numbers for u joints or gimbal bearing would be great.

Any information and part numbers would be great, this site has some of the best information I have ever seen, I am positive there will be some good advise.

Robert

Attachments

• 22117065058_ORIG.jpg
    22117065058_ORIG.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimble bearing replacement, is transom destroyed?!?!?

Looks like you need a new housing too

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The gimbal housing (aka transom shield) is toast. You can find part numbers right here at iboats.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Tran...*****.533844427--store_id.366--view_id.332946

When you find a part number that iboats doesn't sell, just google it with something like "Volvo PN 1234567" you might find used parts that way also.

The flared end probably happened because of the gimbal bearing failure. with the ujoints flopping all around and then the drive turning and trimming up and down just takes out the housing. You should also replace the complete ujoint assembly after that much damage.

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

I appreciate the input, not to sound like I am arguing, but the bellows flange for the clamp is behind the damage and the bearing is even farther behind that, would it be possible to remove the damage and use the transom? There are no cracks or anything leading me to believe that it is damaged in any other way, is the part that was damaged just a lead in for the bellows boot? I am a machinist, if i need that tube to be longer I can machine something up and weld it on.

and definately was from the wasted gimbel bearing don. going to set the driveshaft up to see if it was bent in the process, but it seems to have not done too much contact, the only area of contact is on the long yoke end, before the u joints.

Bifflefan

Commander

Sure, you can clean it up and install a new bearing. No one is going to say it will last past the first time you start it tho.
Id look at the coupler also, the shaft flopping around that much has probably damage it also.

I see you just bought the boat, did you take out for a test ride first?

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

so I have removed the mushed pieces, took a deburring tool to what was in the way and removed the old outer race, I took another picture, I dont see any damage what so ever, was there a reason for the outer part of that tube that was damaged? It is a lot of work to replace the transom, at least it looks to be such, so if I can get away with not doing so I would like to. you can see how much tube there is in front of the bearing placement in the picture, I am not a pro, but it seems like it might be ok.

and no I never test rode it, was at a repo auction, 1999 larson 233 escape, thing is mint other than this, picked up tagged and titled for 5 grand. Cant hurt to invest a little time and money.

Attachments

• 22123472052_ORIG.jpg
    22123472052_ORIG.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimbal bearing replacement, is transom destroyed?!?!?

Is there enough material left to mount the new bellows

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

there is a lot of room left for the bellows boot to mount still, in fact it was mounted farther up than the damage when I disassembled. the only thing I do wonder is if the coupler is damaged, in the diagrams it looks similar to a flywheel somewhat, maybe like a clutch in a car, I assume it has some dampening ability, i.e. made of a rubber base or spring loaded base to absorb the initial rev of the motor and such, I inserted just the driveshaft, and the splines are still stout, does not allow the up and down movement of the shaft easily, and when trying to turn the shaft it does not allow without a lot of force, leading me to believe I am turning the engine also.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

the coupler is a splined socket encased in rubber in a hub bolted to the flywheel.the splined socket can spin in the rubber .causes a slipping when accelerating.you will smell rubber burning.also the splines dont want to be worn to a knife edge.they will spin out also.a good coupler is very important.can leave you stranded.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your 2nd pic shows a lot of rough edges. With the drive moving up & down, I don't think the bellows will last too long before it's torn.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need a new transom shield. There is a groove for the bellows to set in and everything from the groove aft is gone.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380502

Take a look at the pictures in this sticky, you will see how bad your transom shield actually is. You are missing half of the area where the bellows clamps on to and as DonS said, you are missing the groove where the bellows nest into before installing the clamp.
Sure you could clamp the bellows onto what you got, but when you make a hard port or starboard turn your going to eventually pull the bellows off.

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

I have ran the boat in the water with the transom in the shape it was in, the second picture, after smoothing out the edges. it took a bearing fine. installed new boots and greased. no noises no problems. I will most likely pull apart during the off season and replace the rear transom. Not looking foward to it.

Where does on get parts for a Volvo Penta drive in Texas. I called 3 shops in Dallas/Fort Worth area, for a transsom service kit, and the plastic tube for greasing, everyone had a price on the transsom service kit, but would call me back on the plastic tube. Three no returned calls, I called a shop I used in Michigan to ship it all to me.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I dont understand. You came on here looking for advise and did not listen to any suggestions that were given to you. The people on here are not dealers or salesman trying to sell you parts you dont need or trying to rip you off. You are running your boat in an unsafe manner and you are putting yourself and/or loved ones who are on the boat in an unsafe situation by running it that way. You had expert advise given to you and you ignored it...

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

I did come on here for simply that, advise. Everyone gave it. I studied it. The only reason to replace the transom sheild is for the bellows boot to be secured more properly. How is that going to endanger anyone?

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you ever consider what the bellows is there to keep at bay?

:confused:

rjsimon2nd

Cadet

Did you ever consider what the bellows is there to keep at bay?

:confused:

the bellows keeps the gimbal bearing in place, and provides the boot a place to mount, being that there was plenty of area for the boot and no damage to the bearing area, have you considered what the bellows is for?
Worse case, the boot rips, or falls off, and i have to replace the transom sheild. Until then, I can finish out this season.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

worst case, your boot falls off and you sink. at least on a merc. your vp appears similar...and bellows = boot.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The bellows is below the water line (note the water line in the picture in your first post). If it pulls off and your bilge pump cannot keep up with the in flow (which I doubt it will) your boat will sink. Its that simple.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Limited-Time,

Your thoughts are the same as mine......unless we are both thinking wrong headedly.......don't own a Volvo but it seems that the similarities are there.......I know a MerCruiser without a bellows will be a very wet ride.....for a while anyway.........a short while......