gimbal bearing replacement, is transom destroyed?!?!?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: gimbal bearing replacement, is transom destroyed?!?!?

the bellows keeps the gimbal bearing in place, and provides the boot a place to mount, being that there was plenty of area for the boot and no damage to the bearing area, have you considered what the bellows is for?
Worse case, the boot rips, or falls off, and i have to replace the transom sheild. Until then, I can finish out this season.
Tell me that u have one of those cheap 500 g.p.h. bilge pumps that came with the boat. Go ahead, tell me.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

the bellows keeps the gimbal bearing in place, and provides the boot a place to mount, being that there was plenty of area for the boot and no damage to the bearing area, have you considered what the bellows is for?
Worse case, the boot rips, or falls off, and i have to replace the transom sheild. Until then, I can finish out this season.

Knowingly using your boat in its current condition, is nothing short of irresponsible, AND a potential disaster waiting to happen for your boat and its passengers.

Do you think your insurance company will cover the boat itself, or your personal liability for any passengers you might have on board when everyone on board is forced to abandon ship as it sinks? :eek:

Fix it properly NOW, or don't use it until you have the time / money to do the job the right way!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by rjsimon2nd
the bellows keeps the gimbal bearing in place, and provides the boot a place to mount,

2.gif

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys worry too much. Just add some duct tape and baling wire and it will run for ages. Just make sure you use stainless steel wire.......lol

Id check for leaks and use some mercruiser bellows seal on it. Run it and keep a close eye on it. Don't seal the front seal so you can peek inside to see if any water has managed to get in. At the first sign of water inside the bellows, its time to replace the part In the mean time keep your eyes peeled on ebay for the right part. This time of the year there are quite a few boat parts available. Good luck

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Run it and keep a close eye on it. Don't seal the front seal so you can peek inside to see if any water has managed to get in.

You are missing the point here. The advise that is being given is not to prevent water damage to U-joints or drive shaft. Its to keep the boat above the water line.

Why not fix it right the first time and spend your time boating instead of having to constantly "keep a close eye on it"...

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

You and I think a lot alike. The key here to me on that transom is were you able to properly seat the bellows boot in its groove, did the clamp have good metal all the way around? No ruff edges for the boot to get torn on? You say the Gimbal bearing went in ok. Did you check the alignment with the tool? Outdrive go back on smooth? If you have run the boat and it doesn't make bad noises and you spent a day on the water, I would pull the drive back off to see if it's sealed up tight with no water intrusion and enjoy the thing for years to come. If it leaks cuzz the bellows boot can't seat right then you know the rest of the story. Good luck. I'm sure I will get a bunch of boos for this..

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worse case, the boot rips, or falls off, and the boat sinks. Until then, I can finish out this season.

There I fixed it.

iBoats has good deals on PFD's and EPIRBs. Sounds like you're going to need them.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are missing the point here. The advise that is being given is not to prevent water damage to U-joints or drive shaft. Its to keep the boat above the water line.

Why not fix it right the first time and spend your time boating instead of having to constantly "keep a close eye on it"...

I don't think the OP/others are missing the point at all. Nor is he discounting any of your suggestions/directions.

Yes, all of you have given the book answer and superb advise, but none of you are standing behind this gentleman's boat, fondling his wallet/contents, understand his predicaments, nor know exactly how he may focus on his boat/repairs-use. Grant him that.

Following his post on 15 Sep, continued statements of concern given the possible ramifications of a bellows failure would have sufficed. He even prefaced his comments by stating "not to sound like I am arguing."
Besides, prior to Nola Mike, a "water leak/boat taking on water" had yet to be mentioned as a critical reason for performing a proper/sound repair etc... Most people probably don't consider the possibility of their boat sinking due to a bellows issue, but I'm sure the OP will now focus on his use/repair for the rest of his season applicably.

Cheers