1968 mercruiser 120 bogs down

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All,

Finally getting ready to splash my boat, but my newly rebuilt engine bogs down if i advance the throttle or high speed idle fast. I can get it up to approx 2000 rpm thats it. new points (gap .022, new fuel pump. (fuel in the carb bowl) and carb rebuilt by a pro mechanic. Tried to adjust the needle valves, but no help. Any ideas???

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 1968 mercruiser 120 bogs down

Sell it and buy a boat that was made in this century....

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Sell it and buy a boat that was made in this century....

No thanks! I would rather buy something that will last more than 5 years. No worries about fuel injection, computers or electronic ignition!

paul ages

Cadet

I have a '68 Mercruiser as well, a Fiberform Continental hardtop. Screw the "buy a new boat" crowd.. Your question wasn't, "Should I own a vintage boat?"

You must have figured this out by now as it was a year ago, so I'm curious what you found. I'd have suspected the ignition advance if it wouldn't run well at all over 2000 RPM, or the accelerator pump if it was just a hiccup. Mine has a fuel delivery issue I can't diagnose to save my life, and I'm about to replace the pump and hopefully end the problems.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a '68 Mercruiser as well, a Fiberform Continental hardtop. Screw the "buy a new boat" crowd.. Your question wasn't, "Should I own a vintage boat?"

You must have figured this out by now as it was a year ago, so I'm curious what you found. I'd have suspected the ignition advance if it wouldn't run well at all over 2000 RPM, or the accelerator pump if it was just a hiccup. Mine has a fuel delivery issue I can't diagnose to save my life, and I'm about to replace the pump and hopefully end the problems.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Paul...

Start a thread of yer Own, with Your details in it...

Hi-jackin' somebody else's antique is frowned upon here...

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.