5.7 Mercruiser water in cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadave

Cadet
I got the dreaded call from the marina this morning. When they were doing my tune up they found water in the cylinders. The engine is a 5.7L Mercruiser with an Alpha I. It is on a 22' 1994 Celebrity. They said they weren't sure yet if it was a blown head gasket or a cracked exhaust manifold. The boat was running great except at idle and was tough to start. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to cost of either of the possible problems or a guess at which it may be. Thanks in advance.<br />By the way there is no sign of water in the engine oil if that helps?

magster65

Commander
Re: 5.7 Mercruiser water in cylinders

It sounds like your risers are expired. At low rpm the engine doesn't make enough heat to overcome the water and it dribbles back to the exhaust valve. This sounds like a fouled plug or two. Hard starting is because the engine's full of water. If you caught this early enough you'll be ok. I just did my risers, it's a really easy job requiring minimal tools.

Vadave

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. I should find out for sure later today. Any idea what it should cost if the marina does it? I'm too much of a wimp to wrench on my engine much!

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got this same dreaded call last year. <br /><br />It turned out that when I pulled the boat out the last time I let it slide back down the ramp while secured to the trailer. This caused the stern of the boat to sink so far down that the water level was actually higher than the risers. :eek: <br /><br />I'm more cautious about launching and pulling the boat now and I flush the engine on fresh water everytime I pull her out. (I run in saltwater.) :rolleyes:

Vadave

Cadet

Mechanic just called. He said the leak is internal, but they're not sure where. He suggested a crate engine be dropped in. Motor costing $5000, plus labor. He said that they could try to find the problem, but that it could be that the block is cracked the engine might have to be scrapped anyway so that i should just go with the new engine and save the possible problems. What do you guys think?

Vadave

Cadet

He also siad that the manifolds leaked when pressure tested, so they're bad to.

foresteronw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it seems as though they are trying to give up to easy on your engine. i would have them go throug it a little more.

Juancho

Seaman

If I was a marine mechanic, and I made all of my money on boat repair, I would tell you that your boat needs a new engine as well. If the oil is still clean, and there is no water in it, then it is unlikely that the block is cracked. What you have described so far, with the water in the cylinders sounds a lot like hydralock, and the risers are toast like magster65 said. There have been numerous discussions in this forum about it. Do you have a mechanically inclined friend whom can maybe go a take a look at the engine with you?<br />If it were me, I could never afford to have a marine mechanic install a new motor, so I would exhaust every possible option before resorting to a costly re-engine. Remember $5000 is just the tip of the iceberg. Labor is going to be the killer. In fact, the engine purchase price might be the cheapest part of the whole deal.<br />Another thing, if the block was cracked, do you have any idea how it could of happened. Usually a block cracks when the boat is not winterized properly and the water inside freezes and expands. Did that happen in your case? If so, did you have the same mechanics, that are now trying to sell you a new motor, winterize your boat for you? If so, I would say the damage is their fault, and they are liable to put in the new engine for you. Just a thought.

Vadave

Cadet

juancho, thanks for the advice. i don't know that much about engines, but i feel like they're giving up easy because they don't want to spend a lot of time on the boat. There didn't seem to be any water in the oil, it ran great the first few times out this season. Start right up, no problem. After the firstcoup;e times it started to idle rough and when i was starting it it seemed to hyrdrolock. it would turn over and then stop like it was stuck. If if turned it again it would fire up. it idled rough for about a minute, then ran great. It doesn't seem like an engine running so perfectly otherwise could be i need of replacement.<br /> I am starting to feel like they are not really equipped to do much engine work or don't want to. They said from the beginning they thought it may be the head gasket and that if it was they would not fix it, but havce it sent to another marina or i'd have to take it somwhere else. do you think i should ask them to try and pinpoint the problem before settling on a new engine? Should i just go somewhere else?<br /> As far as winterization i had in done by the same guy that had always done it for me in ohio. i'm confident it was ok. I would think if it was a winterization problem the new place would jump on telling me that. <br /> How do you guys feel about a rebuilt engine?<br />Sorry this is so long i'm getting frustrated with them!<br />Thanks in advance.<br />dave

Juancho

Seaman

From what you describe, it sure does seem like hyralock. I think Magster65 hit the nail right on the head. Your risers are probably shot and are allowing water to backflow into the motor. Sure signs of a bad riser are poor idle, but runs well with throttle, hard start and finally, water in the cylinders, but not in the oil. <br />Instead of taking it to a different mechanic right away, I would talk with one first. Tell him what you told us, and then tell him that you suspect a bad riser and see what he says. I would not mention the other mechanics who have already looked at your boat. If the new mechanic sounds knowledgeable, then take your boat in and have him check it out. Also, you can ask around the marina for a good mechanic. I have a lot of faith in word of mouth reputation.

Vadave

Cadet

juancho, thanks again. I just got off the phone with the mechanic again. He says they won't do any work, such as head gaskets, because the engine was run with water in it. His rationale is they're afraid that more damage may have occurred that will not appear for some time and I 'll be mad then so I should just replace the whole thing and start fresh for about $7000 total. I'm going to have another marina look at it and see what they come up with.

Juancho

Seaman

What the mechanic told you may very well be true, but I would be willing to take my chances, and run the motor into the ground before replacing it. You can buy an awfully nice used boat for $7,000, and that to me would be a much wiser choice. One more thing we have not thought about...what about boat insurance? Is this something your boat insurance would cover? Assuming you have insurance. If not, don't worry, I don't have it either. However, if you do, you might look into having the engine replaced by the insurance company. Just a thought.<br />I don't want to confuse you , and say that I am know advocating replacing the engine. I am not convinced that your engine is toast. I would still do what I suggested earlier and run the scenerio by another mechanic.

Vadave

Cadet

I do have insurance. I hadn't really thought about that as an option. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

mercury1

Cadet

My advice for what its worth is to shop around on engines. I have been looking at 454 engines (see the other post) and you can get a complete 545 for less than $4000 easily. Locally here, $5000 would build a tremendous motor with huge horsepower. I am assuming you ar looking stock marine? $5000 seems ungodly high too me.<br /><br />Merc

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

how far have they diassembled engine? many times it is easier to pressure test the block than the manifolds. usually a simple compression check will show bad head gasket. did they do one? sure sounds like they are trying to sell you a motor when all you need are manifolds and risers.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

I would bail on that shop... They are just trying to sell you some big $$$ Items.... You buy a crate engine and everything is new on it... You dont need eveything new..... Hell all you may need are new risers and thats a couple hundred... Even if you do need a new block get a long block.... I just bought one for my boat with 2 year warranty about 1600 parts alone... and thats a middle of the road price. You can get them cheaper and you can get them more expensive.. You choose.. BUT I WOULD NOT let them sell you a crate..... If you got money to burn go for it.... I know I dont...<br /><br />Tallman

Vadave

Cadet

Thanks guys. They were doing a compression test last night. i don't have the results as he didn't call back. I have it scheduled to go into a new shop. THe risers and manifold are bad. They said even with the exhaust off water got in. That's why they think it is internal. I have it scheduled to go somewhere else in a couple weeks. we'll see.

Vadave

Cadet

Compression is good on all cylinders so i'm assuming the head gaskets are ok. Now I'm leaning towards a new motor. I am deciding between rebuilt and new. If i go new I am looking at a 5.0 mpi with 260hp. Apparently merc's newer 5.7 with a carb only makes 250hp as opposed to 260 or 270 on my engine. the mech says the 5.0 should pretty much bolt right up and i'd be looking at about 7hrs labor for the process. I am concerned about the electronics for the fuel injection and whether the mech has though that through.<br />Rebuilt would probably be a little cheaper, but not much because of the labor for switching parts from the old to the new motor. Plus i need new risers and manifolds. I feel like i might only save about a grand. does this make any sense?<br />On a side note the insurance company is going to take a look and see if they will cover anything this week.

D

DJ

buckeye,<br /><br />I do not understand why you want to replace that engine so badly.<br /><br />How did they determine that the leak is internal. You said, "with the exhaust off", That's a neat trick I've never heard of.<br /><br />Either we're not getting the whole story or they're doing an outstanding sales job on you.<br /><br />If the engine failed internally, about the only thing that could cause that is freezing. They winterized it right. If it did crack, they're backpeddling on you-fast and trying to cover it at your expense.<br /><br />Get that boat out of there. Replace the risers and go about your summer. If that ends up not being it (I doubt it though) you're out several hundred bucks and you can use the new risers on the long block installation-later.

Juancho

Seaman

No offense Buckeybus but it doesn't seem like you are heeding peoples advice. It sounds like you are hell bent on buying a new engine. With that said, can I have your old engine, because it sounds like it is in perfectly good condition, and I want to upgrade the power in my boat. Where do you live? Maybe I can come and pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.