Fresh water cooling, routing question...

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm almost done swapping a mercruiser 5.7 into my boat.. I have a question though. <br /><br />My original stern drive was raw cooled.. It had a hose at the top of the gimble.<br /><br />The new setup I got, had this part plugged, and the sea wanter entered viea a 3/4 hose hooked up to the brass fitting in the bilge. (I have this too). <br /><br />These are both alpha-one outdrives. I was under the impression all alpha drives had water pumps? or does the water just pump up and back out? I dont get it.. I'm gonna use the outdrive that came with the FWC motor. <br /><br />I'm kinda stumped on this one.. I decided to keep the closed cooling based on a few marina's recomendations. I'm confused about this though. Should I just pull the tube out and plug the hole like the other gimble is?<br /><br />-- Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fresh water cooling, routing question...

Some fwc setups dont use the outdrive as a water intake,they have a seperate raw water in take through a seawaterpump and a strainer.This is used to cool the manifolds.A friend of mine had this setup in a formula. CC