1988 OMC 3.0L conversion to Electronic Ignition

Greyhound24

Recruit
A couple years back I installed a Petronix E.I. conversion kit in my boat and it seemed to run fine however I remember there was a DIY circuit design in the kit that was to be put together with Radio Shack parts and installed between the Neg. side of the coil and the ESA module. It was for those OMCs with a shift interrupter. <br /><br />Needless to say, I didn't bother with it even though I have a shift interrupter. I've had shifting problems off and on since I bought the boat in '96. Is anyone familiar with the Petronix kit ? If so, how critical is the DIY circuit to the overall shifting performance ?

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 OMC 3.0L conversion to Electronic Ignition

I believe it is fairly critical. I have the instructions at home on how to make the circuit if you need them. Looks really simple. If you need them, post here or shoot me an e-mail.

Greyhound24

Recruit

JasonB, thanks for the offer but I have the circuit instructions. I've read extensively about the various factors affecting OMC Cobra shifting performance but wasn't sure how much the DIY circuit weighed in relative to idle speed, carburetor set-up, etc.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I think it has more to do with saving the gears by slowing the engine for a split second while the gears engage.