Fuel flow meter

donie

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all<br />I'm looking to add a fuel flow meter to my boat but I don't want to spend 100's to do it. I just want a simple device if such a thing exists.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br />Donie

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel flow meter

Seems like I've heard of one for disels.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

There are several on the market. It is important that you go for a marine device and that you are aware of your fuel piping layout. Most diesel systems utilizes two pipes so the meter must cope with return flow. Some (rare) uses a so called 'looper' that makes a system originally designed for two pipes work on only one pipe.

donie

Seaman Apprentice

It's actually a petrol engine I want the flow meter for so that I can guage how much fuel is used when I'm skiing as we have a group that share the costs.<br /><br />Normally, I just make sure my costs are covered but I just want to get it more accurate.<br /><br />Thanks for any responses<br />Donie :eek:

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I recently purchased a digital Fuel Flow gauge made by Standard Horizon. The retail price is around $180. I believe it can be used on any single, gasoline powered engine (Inboard, I/O, or Outboard). Consists of a sending unit that ties into your fuel line after the filter and a digital gauge that mounts in the dash.Tells you fuel burn rate, gallons remaining in your tank, total fuel used, etc. Check their website for more info, then check around for sale prices and rebates.

donie

Seaman Apprentice

I found the website but I'm having troble locating the part you mention. Could you post a URL for me please.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Donie

donie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ahein <br /><br />I've ordered the Navman fuel flow meter. Very affordable considering some of the earlier models I found. Just the fuctions I was looking for. Thanks for the help.<br />Donie