do drain plugs fittings go bad?

rock10

Seaman Apprentice
went to lake this morning mainly to do some trailer work but never the went for a spin or two but im taking on some water got a flashlight and looked in bilge and it was looked as if it was coming from my drain plug area does this area go bad often or is it something else thanks

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: do drain plugs fittings go bad?

went to lake this morning mainly to do some trailer work but never the went for a spin or two but im taking on some water got a flashlight and looked in bilge and it was looked as if it was coming from my drain plug area does this area go bad often or is it something else thanks

If this is a garboard plug (brass plug with threads) it is possible that the flanged part has worked loose from the hull. There are usually three screws holding this on, and it is not unusual for the fitting to come loose from the plug being too tight and forced in, and back out.

Easy fix...remove the flange...clean all the areas...reseal with 3M 5200...replace the screws...and wait for the 3M to cure.

Be sure NOT to put the plug in too tight...it is a pipe thread, and does not need to be overly tightened.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

You're sort'a in the wrong section. This is the I/O & engine section.

Your question might be better asked in the Boat restoration and Building section.

A Mod(erator) will probably be moving this thread for you!!

Now having said that, yes........ There can be a problem in this area sometimes.

A lot of boat builders do not seal that area well and if you get cracks in the fiberglass, have old holes that had screws in them that are no longer there, bilge drains that are not well sealed, they can leak....transom mounts that are not sealed properly, etc etc etc.....

You can have leaks. They're usually not all that hard to find but you have to have the boat in the water and good bright lights to see where they are!

Regards,

Rick

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

one other thing it only leaks when sitting still not when running thanks

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

by the way my boat is a cobia 16 ft i/o with omc cobra outdrive

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

That's natural...some will even remove their inside mounted plugs while on plane, and the water will exit from the bilge.

Did you figure out if your plug screws in?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So you're saying that it doesn't leak just sitting.

It leaks when the engine is running at idle?

Well, that MIGHT be an I/O thing after all!!

You have a hose that runs from the transom to your oil/PS cooler (if installed) and then to the thermostat housing.

The hose is connected to a metal tube that goes thru the transom back to the raw water pump port on the drive.
If that tube (#68 below) is corroded, cracked, or the hose is loose, you could get water out of the it back there that would appear to be coming from the transom

Transom%20Mount.gif

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

yes it is screw in brass plug,and yes its without motor running just docked

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I just replaced the garboard flange and plug on mine last weekend. When I unscrewed the plug last Fall, I saw the flange shift just a bit. That told me it was time for a re-do.

Just as described, unscrew the old flange at 3 points and pry it out. It'll be hard to break loose, but a small metal putty knife tapped in around the circumference freed mine. Scrape the old sealant out of there. A good bead of 5200 and some new screws and you're set.

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

well back to the old drawing board its not drain housing appears to to coming in at the area just above the drain plug not sure what thats called will do reserch,but to clarify yes it comes in while im sitting motor not running thanks

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

rock10,

I actually remove drain plugs on my flatbottom to let water out while on a plane, but remember to put them back before dropping off plane.

I see you have determined it's not the drain plug afterall. Good luck and I hope it's not too costly to fix.:eek:

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

In stumped where do I look next?I have a stupid question but had to oil in my outdrive that any way couldn't have had anything to. Do with my leaks could it?to much pressure? Thanks

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Time for you to tell us just what you have...engine and outdrive info!

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

post # 5.2.3 ford thanks omc cobra

rock10

Seaman Apprentice

how much is to much leakage,i guess as long as i dont stop im good lol