How do i get the rotor off in the distributor cap on a Mercruiser v6?

GJK0807

Recruit
I have a Mercruiser V-6 with thunderbolt ignition systmem, I changed the spark plugs and want to change the distributor cap and rotor, but cannot figure out how to get the rotor off. Does anyone know how to get this rotor out? (looks like this - http://www.sterndrives.com/precisionparts/thunderbolt_tuneup_kits.html )

Also, after I changed the plugs I have noticed something new - the boat does not seem to have the same power during exceleration from a standstill. The boat takes longer to plane out but does get up to top speed and performs like it should after it gets going. Could this be related to the distributor?

Thanks for any help

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: How do i get the rotor off in the distributor cap on a Mercruiser v6?

Should just pull off.

If not, look for a set screw, but it should just pull off.

cr2k

Captain

Those get stuck often. Just man up and give it a tug. You may have to pry it, but make sure you are doing no damage to anything when/if you do this.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its the thunderbolt system that uses the trigger wheel bolted to the rotor use a heat gun on the rotor and even then sometimes I have to pry them off, carefully clean all the old loctite and rust from the shaft and remember to loctite it back on just like the book says,however I usually wont remove the distributer and turn it upside down while reassembling.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to cut mine off with a dremel. Didn't put any loctite on it whe putting the new one on, no problems in 2 years. Don't know about your power issue, how's your timing?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The rotor should just pull off. Use both hands and pull with a steady pressure. It will come off. If you don't replace it be surre to scrape the end off if any discoloration or corrosion. Also check inside the cap itself to make sure ALL the contacts are clean. If you have any doubt clean or replace. As far as replacing the plugs and seeing a difference in power, the only yhring that might make a difference is if the gap is way off.

Mike250

Seaman

I had to use the heat gun method on mine. It had been installed from the factory with lock tight.