Mercruiser 140 turns left @ WOT

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased an 1985 4winns with a mercruiser 3.0. I had it out today and noticed 2 issues. First at WOT it wants to turn left, HARD left. I was afraid to let go of the wheel because it cut really hard. It is ok at about 3/4 throttle but WOT is bad. The next issue was the temperature. The temp was fine at idle and at higher speeds. But, when we were kinda trolling through a very long no wake canal it got pretty hot. It was alittle over 200. Can anyone please let me know what you think may be causing these issues. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 140 turns left @ WOT

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Issue #1,... Adjust the Torque Tab, just above,+ aft of the prop,...
Or possibly it's the prop itself....

Issue #2,... Replace the Impeller, +/ or it's housing, depending on conditions found......

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. Thanks. I just noticed that the trim tab is missing so I will replace it today. I will also get the info to replace the impeller. Do you know if a lower unit from a 1993 4.3L alpha one gen 2 will fit my boat? I have a chance to get a slightly used one really cheap. The bottom of the skeg on mine is damaged now and there is a small crack near where the adjustable trim tab attaches. Thanks

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

just an FYI, small changes on the trim tab can make big differences. It was the difference from barely being able to hold the wheel, to steering the boat with one finger for me.

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for that info. I am pulling off the lower unit tonight to have a local guy weld it and replace the impeller. Then i will get the trim tab back on there. I am sure i will have more questions when I reassemble it.