What would a bad condenser do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saginaw Bay

Seaman
Basically I was running along, and BAM! no motor.

I replaced the coil as it was leaking oil from it, still doing the same thing, Firing 1 time, then nothing.

Wondering if maybe my condenser went bad also?

It is raining cats and dogs right now and cant go outside to troubleshoot.

thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: What would a bad condenser do?

A bad condenser would kill it too.If the coil is bad replace it with a RESISTOR coil.It sounds like it was getting too many volts.Should be 9V at coil.Turn motor over see if both sides of the coil has power.Then follow it to the points and condenser.Most times it the coil/points that go bad.Make sure the coil is wired right.
Also check the shift interupt switch.J

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Basically I was running along, and BAM! no motor.

I replaced the coil as it was leaking oil from it, still doing the same thing, Firing 1 time, then nothing.

Wondering if maybe my condenser went bad also?

It is raining cats and dogs right now and cant go outside to troubleshoot.

thanks

What are we working on?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A bad condensor will allow the engine to run but progressively get worse and intermittent until it will no longer run. The time frame can vary.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Is that you Dave?That boat looks familiar.Jerry(formerly from Skidway)

Saginaw Bay

Seaman

It was the shift inturrupt switch.

Went out there , bent the armature of the switch outward, and she started right up.

thanks for the insight.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To eliminate the condenser replace it! Its only 6$. I doubt if thats your problem though. Electrical is tricky and you eed to eliminate the easy stuff first. To check the coil remove the wire and hold it against some mtetal while someone turns over the engine. If you don't see spark thats it.

squamlaker

Recruit
My 1990 3.0 Alpha One was bogging out around 3000 RPM. Changed out all of the gas, fuel filters, anti-siphon valve, all new spark plugs, rebuilt the carb, and no change. So I went back put the old plugs in, no change. The only other thing I could think of was that I had changed the points and condenser prior to bringing it down to the slip for the season. I put the old condenser back in and boom it was fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.