2288 renken seamaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanp

Seaman Apprentice
Mako- I see that you own this particular model boat. What are your comments on it so far? I do intend to use this boat while my 31 footer is under going upgrades. The 6 cyl OMC is not starting, after sitting for 2 years. I was told to replace the distributor cap, rotor, points and coil. She won't kick over, I see spark, but wont go even with starting fluid. <br /><br />Any suggestions?

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2288 renken seamaster

The 4.3 litre is a good motor as far as I'm concerned. I'm no mechanic but that is certainly a good place to start. I would do the cap, wires, rotor, and plugs first and take it from there. Also try some adjusting on the timing. When I got the Renken it sat for a couple years also and thats what I did and I got it running. Ran lousy would backfire when revved up and it ended up being the valves, just did some adjusting on them and she is still running great. I also had to pull the risers and manifolds as they were clogeed and had a local radiator shop clean them out in there acid tank. Been using it for 2 summers now and the motors been fine. As far as the hull goes I hate it, the bow just loves to go under in some rough water, fine lake or bay boat but don't like her offshore at all. By the way mine is a 20 footer. Also you should post this as trouble with the OMC 6 cylinder, I'm sure you'll get some good input.

flashback

Captain

do a compression check. It's the next logical step.......good luck

Stanp

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, mystery solved, The distributor was way to far advanced and she wouldn't start. Set the timing, new plugs, coil and points and set the timing 9 degrees advanced and she's purring like a kitten. The carb is varnished and needs rebuilt and a new set of exhaust manifolds ($370.00 each) plus impeller set me back $1,100.00. Hopefully thats it- (probably not)It seems the bolt that holds the distributor loosened up and went way out of timing.

flashback

Captain

tap it out and put a larger bolt in......may want to magnetize the tap first......good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.