Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1

jayschaum

Recruit
I just purchased a 1990 boat with a Mercruiser 3.0 litre 130 HP 4 cyl. Shame on me, I missed water in the oil in the pre-buy, and upon tear-down, find that it has a crack in the cylinder wall. Does anyone know if this engine (181 Cubic inches) has a compatible automotive engine that I can use for a replacement block? Or where I can get another 3.0L at a reasonable price? Help!!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1

Who'd you purchase this boat from? If a dealer...then I'd be looking into getting my money back...or tell them to fix it!! You probably won't have much luck in that if purchased from a private party...but what's to hurt by asking?<br /><br />I'm sure you can locate another block...or look into buying a rebuilt engine. My sources are on the West Coast, so they won't do you much good back in Indiana.<br /><br />Sorry you're having to go through all that trouble...guess we can all learn a lesson here, eh? Buyer beware!<br /><br />Walt

Trent

Captain

This one was Mercrusier only. No auto's had this one. sorry

bowriderbob

Cadet

Jay,<br /><br />You might try looking on ebay, I've seen several new Mercruiser 3.0L engines selling for around $1200-1500. Mostly by the seller name "michiganmotors". You might try doing a search and emailing him, the engines are supposed to have a 1 yr warranty.<br /><br />Bowriderbob

jayschaum

Recruit

Thanks, guys, for the helpful information. As a follow up, I have found a machine shop that will bore and then sleeve the cylinder, so that will hopefully put a fix on it. <br /><br />Thanks again for your quick and helpful answers.