OVERHEATING....HELP

BIGO1

Recruit
MY 1997 VOLVO/PENTA W/ OMC COBRA STERNDRIVE BOAT OVERHEATED AND I'M NOT TO SMART ON THIS SYSTEM. I KNOW ABOUT THE THERMOSTAT AND THE ENGINE WATER PUMP, ARE THERE ANY OTHER PUMPS THAT CAN FAIL IN THIS CASE? OR IF MY T-STAT AND WATER PUMP ARE GOOD AND THERE IS NO BLOCKAGE, WHAT COULD CAUSE IT TO OVERHEAT???<br />THANKS

Re: OVERHEATING....HELP

You need to check your lower unit empellor and the lower unit water pump. Easy to change if you can get the lower unit off. Some lower units have a key like what a hub key for your car tire. Parts are not too expensive just follow shop manual. You can test this by putting earmuffs on the lower unit and see if water is pumping threw.<br />Hope this helps!!!!

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OVERHEATING....HELP

Who salt water 97 volvo joint venture at that time and present sea pump is mounted on engine do not remove drive yet! remove cover on sea pump replace impeller, now the hard thing if vanes are missing from impeller you must find them pull off hose from pump to t-stat housing, look in the hole it is small and vanes will get traped here then pull off the big hose from circ pump to t-stat housing look at t- stat pices in the spring? or the part that closes?? Next why did it overheat? running boat in driveway with no water? or did you pic something up in the water weeds, sand or the bag some drunk thru over board? Remove the intake hose before p.s.cooler usualy in the back of motor stick a finger in there and feel it must be clean! full of junk back flush with garden hose from the sea pump. lake test and monitor engine temp. Maybe loosen block plug at idle got flow? good luck hope this helps!!!!!!!