Plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I'm probably opening a can of worms, but what makes marine plug wires different (if anything).

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Plug wires

I think its the Mercruiser label. I don't use them. I use Accel 8mm auto wires.The boots seal them from water and I change them every year any way. Ooops..... I don't think I should have said that, I can see the Coast Guard choppers coming now,there stopping over my driveway,men repelling down to check my wires, I have to go they are coming with guns drawn.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FSN...<br /><br />Good grief...how many hours do you put on your boat per year anyway? Changing plug wires every year sounds like a bit of overkill to me...but then again...what the heck do I know? I just dumped $6000 into a boat that I couldn't sell for $4000. Go figure....<br /><br />Walt

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys. Walter, I know that feeling too afetr I just dumped over $4000 int my '76, but It's worth it since she is very unique around here. My engine gets a slight uneven idle after she has been run for a while. I'm trying to figure out if it could be old wires or if the carb is out of adjustment. She runs great at idle, idle in gear, and all the way up to WOT, but when I come back through the no wake zone, she tends to surge a bit.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Spent the last two years and 7 to 8 grand (dont tell the wife) rebuilding a boat that I bought for $800.00. Wire are cheep and easy to replace. I do it in the spring. After winter(and a bad case of cabin fever i am happy to do it). Not only that but I want every HP I can get. Wouldnt want a miss from a bad wire to screw up a day. Also P.M. is my pet peave (have alot of friends that gas and go,nothing happens to them,just me). Getting drug (not towed,you are dead weight) back to the dock sucks. When I here the line "Looks good. Whats wrong with it?" after all the time and money it makes you want to pull the drain plug and let it go.<br /> After running for awile then slowing down you may have a carb loading up a little or a dist thats not comming back (from advancing for high rpm). Tune it up then see what happens. It happens to boats. They sit around so much they freez up not like a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.