Trent I need your expertise Please (trim question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I just acquired a 1985 Marathon 22' Cuddy with the infamous 3.7 liter 470/170hp mated to a mercruiser (alpha 1 ???)outdrive.<br /><br />Here's the question. There is no Trim Indicator Guage on the dash and no sign that there ever was one. Is there a sending unit or an add on sending unit? Aside from the "seat of your pants" driving I am at a loss. <br /><br />I ordered a manual for this beast and of course it is on backorder so I am flying blind. Any links to exploded views and details of the trim sending unit (if there is one?) would help.<br /><br />Thanks, Bob

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trent I need your expertise Please (trim question

Bob...<br /><br />Trent can give you the true scoop on this issue...but this much I can tell you. My Type 1 has a location on the starboard side of the outdrive that will accomodate a trim indicator sensor. My boat did not come with that feature, but as I said, the outdrive is equipped for one. I wouldn't be surprised that your Alpha drive is the same. When I recently overhauled my outdrive...the kit we used for the trim limit switch also came with the wiring for the trim indicator...but because I didn't have the indicator gauge...I opted not to utilize that feature.<br /><br />I'm almost certain that your outdrive can be equipped with a trim indicator sensor...but you will most likely have to install the sensor and appropriate wiring & gauge.<br /><br />For what it's worth...<br /><br />Walt

Trent

Captain

Walter is correct... Trim sender is on the starboard side. Why do you want one? After a few years they give problems because of the wiring Merc uses! Looks like your Lamp cord at your end table. (They need to change it!!) Its a pain to replace!!!!!!!! I suggest to learn how to trim without it! Most do not work after five years.<br /><br />Im NOT a fan of the 3.7 but I might can give you a few tips?? It does have great HP and fuel ecomony. However the waterpump thats drivin by the cam can give problems as well as the water cooled voltage regulator. If the alternator starts giving problems, Change to the kit for a standard alternator. (If you have room in the doghouse).

Bob_VT

Staff member

Thank you.<br /><br />Yes, I have read of the 470 woes. If I ever have a problem with the alternator I'm going with a "one wire". I kind of anticipated that and checked yes there is room and how convienant for the pully to be there.<br /><br />I guess I will just fly without the guage. I mainly just plan on cruising with the boat.<br /><br />Bob

Trent

Captain

By the way Bob..Look on the end of your propshaft. Does it have an "A or M" stamped on it? If it does you have an "MR" drive. Just a few differences when ordering parts for the drive. (cant remember what)<br /><br />
21.gif

Bob_VT

Staff member

Good morning. Yes I have the letter A stamped on the prop shaft, just checked. I know that the alpha drive started in 85 so I would not be surprised with changes.<br /><br />Bob<br /><br />Coal mines, pine tree seedlings, beer, shine, fireworks, hunting, nice weather at midnight, great people, and of course Crimson Tide "Roll tide!" My Alabama memories of my week in Cordova. Just one of those things I did 10 years ago :D

Status
Not open for further replies.