merc. upper drive gears shot. DIY'er job or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave buckner

Seaman Apprentice
'74 merc. 165 i/o upper drive gears are self destructing. ive gotten excellent feedback on this site for the parts.(THANKS!) i have a few questions for you mechanics out there:<br /> 1. what is difficulty rating of adjusting gears shims and lash. (i have rebuilt car tranny , rear end, clutches, etc.. but any job can be scarry if you have never done it before.) is shimming any easier since i intend to use all new gears , bearings and seals? <br /> 2.for another $100 i can get a new upper drive shaft fully assembled. i have bearing puller and a press, is there anything tricky about this process that warrants paying the extra money, or is it a deal?<br /> 3.i have considered buying rebuilt upper, or even complete outdrive (as mine is likely original '74). ujoints have no play in them. vertical shaft has very slight wear around water pump area. prop shaft has fairly deep pitting where thrust hub rides. im having a **** of a time deciding whether to fix only upper drive gears (and entire water pump assembly for reliability) or to go rebuilt outdrive and sell mine as is or fix and sell. this is a tough decision for first boat 6 weeks old. i am confident in soundness of the hull, transom, motor, and intend to have the boat for 5 years plus, but rebuilt outdrive is around $2500 (boat was $3250) and it may be overkill. experienced merc. guys, i could use your help. what is your advice in this situation?<br /><br />feedback on this site has been extremely helpful, and it is very much appreciated. thanks, dave

dave buckner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: merc. upper drive gears shot. DIY'er job or not?

forgot to mention gear oil levels were correct with no signs of water

Status
Not open for further replies.