power tilt/trim question on 1974 140 merc sterndrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleinboy

Cadet
my sterndrive unit (#1 type serial #3901325) will tilt up fast however when lowering the sterndrive it will lower at a really slow rate. Is this normal or is there a problem in the system that I am overlooking?<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!<br /><br />kleinboy

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power tilt/trim question on 1974 140 merc sterndrive

How slow is slow? My Type 1 raises faster too...but it lowers at an acceptable speed. Just a sec...lemme go see how much time it takes to completely raise and lower it. Be right back...<br /><br />Ok...it took approx. 14 seconds to raise it fully. It took a full 20 seconds to lower it. That's with a fully charged battery...engine OFF. I suspect those times will decrease somewhat with the engine running/alt. charging.<br /><br />Hope this helps...<br /><br />Walt

kleinboy

Cadet

thanks walt,<br /><br />yea I am getting about the same up and down times here also...I guess that is normal then!!<br /><br />just curious, what type engine do you have and what kind of boat?...<br /><br />I have a 1974 Glastron V-179 Starflite.<br /><br />Have you heard of any repetative problems with this type of boat that I own?<br /><br />kleinboy

Walter

Are you kidding?? I don't think Glastron/Carlson ever built a bad boat...just ask James Bond! (Live & Let Die...I LOVE that movie). I can't truthfully say I know a lot about your particular model, but Glastron didn't establish the reputation they have today by building poor quality boats. <br /><br />I just refurbished the 18 ft. Beachcraft (mfg. in Oregon...looks like a Sea Ray wanna be...only with a lot of metal flake) I bought new in 1980. Originally it had a 305 but I upgraded to a 350 (piece of cake...everything bolted right up!) It moves out pretty well...57-ish...I'm very pleased. All new interior, floor, transom, stringers etc... Always garaged so the exterior is still excellent...I get a lot of compliments...people can't believe she's 22 yrs. old!<br /><br />Walt

gary fluke

Cadet

Glastrons are great! They have such a great V-hull, weren't they one of the first if not the first glass boat with a V-hull?

Walter

Well...this is getting away from the original topic, but what the heck.<br /><br />I can't answer Freddy's question, but I do know that back in 1973 Glastron/Carlson introduced the CV18 S/S... Talk about ahead of the times! "Euro-styling" wasn't even in the boating vocabulary...yet this model looks every bit as sexy as anything mfg'd today. It was one of the first true deep V-hull designs...<br /><br />Another Glastron/Carlson first was the 23 foot "Scimitar" cira 1980. Again...her futuristic styling, especially the gunnel to gunnel rear bench seat in front of the engine and the sun lounge over the engine compartment was years ahead of everyone else.<br /><br />Makes ya wonder what they've got on the drawing board today!<br /><br />Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.