Running Hot/Overheating

orlings

Recruit
I have a 1985 Volvo Penta 225D (305). I was crusing along for around 1/2 hour when I suddenly watched the temp guage steadily rise from where it has sat for years, around 170 degrees when cruising around 3800 RPM, to 240 in less than a minute. The engine began to run very rough and would not accelerate. I immediately brought it to idle and it slowly cooled. <br />After a couple minutes of cooling I was able to run it home at a reasonable temp (180 degrees) at low power settings (1-2000 RPM).<br />I replaced the impeller pump and thermostat. Water appears to flow more freely out of the starboard side exhaust than the port side. I don't know if this is simply caused by being on the hose or some sort of restriction.<br />I have test run it again a couple times since and there is a direct correlation between power settings and temperature and it is still running overall abnormaly hot although it only gets dangerously high at very high RPM's.<br />My inclanation is that I sucked something in that is creating a restriction cooling system. Is there anything else I should look at before tearing into that? If it is a blockage where should I begin? It has dual manifolds and is fresh water cooled.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Running Hot/Overheating

Are you certain the automotive type water pump is in good order? Is the belt at the proper tension? Have you tried running the engine without the thermostat installed?<br /><br />Restriction is a possible cause... Can you remove the hose leading to the engine from the outdrive's water pump to see if you're getting good flow? I'm not sure what you're saying when you describe the left and right exhaust...do you have thru-hull exhaust vs. exhaust exiting via the outdrive? What I'm asking is...how you can tell there's more water leaving the starboard manifold? The returning water and exhaust on my MerC leaves the manifold via a "Y" pipe and exits the boat through a single opening at the bottom of the gimble housing.<br /><br />Keep us posted...<br /><br />Walt

orlings

Recruit

Thanks for the response. There are two external hoses that exit out the transom. The are both pumping out warm water, as well as water exiting with the exhaust. The automotive water pump has been replaced, I cleaned the heat exchanger (there were some weeds in it). I have not tried running the boat without the thermostat. I will try that next. Other than that I am stumped?

Walter

Ahh...this is a closed cooling system. Shame on me for assuming it was fresh water cooled.<br /><br />Well...if you can assure the pumps are in good order, then the likely culprits are the thermostat or a blockage. Maybe more debris in the exchanger??<br /><br />Again...keep us posted on what you find.<br /><br />Walt

orlings

Recruit

Got it! Took the heat exchanger off and removed more debree from inside the cooling tubes than I normally do from my outdrive! Runs cooler than ever. Thanks for the help.

Walter

Excellent! Now keep those pesky weeds in the wife's flower garden where they belong!<br /><br />Walt