Water in the power steering pump

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, been lurking here for a while and am amazed at the collective knowledge. Hoping somebody can provide some guidance!<br /><br />I have a 1985 Century 5000CC. Its 23' and is powered with a Merc 260hp (5.7l). I have a pre-Alpha drive.<br /><br />The problem: My power steering pump has a bunch of water in it. I have a setup where my rack-pinion helm uses a cable to control a valve block behind the motor. An oil line comes from the pulley driven power steering pump on the motor to supply power to the valve block/steering cylinder. I my case though, water has been introduced somewhere so my boat has "water-power steering". I believe that the water introduced is raw water and not picked up from the closed circuit cooling system. :mad: <br /><br />Here are my questions: <br />1. Where should I look first in diagnosing the water entry point? Is there a common entry point? A breather of some sort that has failed?? I didn't get a good look since it was evening and I store the boat at my parent's house during the week.<br />2. How do I most effectively drain/flush this thing? That crud has to come out, obviously and I didn't see a drain on the bottom of the PS pump.<br />3. I'm a new *power* boater but I'm handy with a wrench. (Farm boy!) Is this something I can tackle with only a good set of hand tools?<br /><br />Apologies if you've already covered this. I searched using a variety of terms without any luck first.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in the power steering pump

I'm suspecting that if you're MerC is similar to my 1980 type 1...that you have a power steering cooler. On my unit, the cooler is mounted to the engine on the starboard side. Follow the lines from your power steering pump...if you have a cooler...one of them will lead you to it.<br /><br />You'll have to remove the cooler and pressure test it. I can't think of anyplace else water could enter your power steering system...that is...unless you've flooded the bilge and water entered into the reservoir on the pump itself??<br /><br />Walt

flashback

Captain

Walter is on the money, unless your bilge is 2 feet under water, the only place water can get into the power steering pump is through the cooler which as he said is about 14 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter with raw water going in one end and the steering hoses connected to it also.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep, these Guys got your problem Nailed...the coolers don't drain well, Freeze damage is common....i added an extra drain in the hose right next to mine....<br /><br />to change the oil in your PS system; disconnect the low presure return line from the back of the PS pump, direct this into a suitable container where you can see the oil coming out of the line(some, but little oil will leak out the back of the pump while your doing this), have someone start the motor for you(with water muffs on of course), Now pour fresh ATF into the pump as fast as it will take the oil...When the return oil spilling into your catchbasin turns from a milky, glob of sh-t, to a pretty red stream, Stop the motor, reconnect all the hoses,+ you have just changed all the oil in your PS system......<br /><br />Bondo

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the power steering cooler that is easy to miss when winterizing the engine. <br />Many boat owners don't know they have a p/s cooler because the seller didn't tell them and the owners manual doesn't either.

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the info. I did pull off the low pressure return line and ran about 4 quarts through it.<br /><br />For anyone reading this thread in the future, be sure to work your steering wheel back and forth a lot while you're doing this to make sure the steering cylinder is purged. Found out the hard way after I thought I was done. I had buttoned it all back up, worked the wheel....then decided to double check and sure enough. That !@$%@! thing was full of milky crud again.<br /><br />PS> For you Chesapeake Bay guys...I ran down the Rappahannock and across the bay to Tangier Island yesterday. It was an AWESOME trip. Kind of lonely out there for about 30 minutes with no sight of land in any direction. I got there using only a compass. On the way home, I had a beam sea and and an outgoing tide and had to light up the GPS when I didn't make landfall on time. Made good time tho. My 5.7 Merc only drinks 5.5 gal/hr @ 3000. :D <br /><br />Fair seas to all!