Broken drive shaft on merc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeblare

Seaman Apprentice
Ihave a 1982 Chris craft with a 898 and I believe the R drive the serial # begins with 67******x I cant remember the rest and unfortunately Im at work and cant get the rest. My problem is the vertical drive shaft broke right above the pinion gear and I cant remove the nut to take it out Ive tried wiggling it past the the clutch dog and prop shaft, the bearing carriage and gear is already out, but it just wont clear and the prop shaft clutch dog, and gear wont come out with the pinion gear in the way. Is there some way to do this all the gears are still in pristine shape and I dont want to destroy them. The shaft looks like it was sliced with a laser there were no loose chunks to cause any damage. I figure there has to be a way because my clymer maual shows tighting the pinion gear nut with a socket and breaker bar and I sure as hell dont see how that could be done with the shaft in there. Thanks in advance

mikeblare

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Broken drive shaft on merc

Well Ive since figured this out on my own so if any one else out there needs the info heres the scoop. On the clutch dog in the middle there is a groove about 1/8 to 1/4" deep in this groove there is a circular spring clip. Take a pick like the kind your dentist uses or a pair of curved needle nose pliers. run your fingers sround the groove till you find the split in the spring. Now by either prying or grabbing pull the spring out. Dont worry about deforming it new ones are cheap.Under this clip there is a pin that goes throught the dog, the prop shaft, and through the shift spool assembly which resides behind the gear and sticks into the prop shaft from the end. Feel around till you find the hole and then using a bent clothes hanger poke the pin out. The prop shaft will pull right out allowing access to the pinion gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.