Merc Outdrive reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

am1955

Cadet
Hello all again (and Master Trent)<br /><br />I have successfully replaced the cut/worn U-Joint bellow (found instructions on how to accomplish this with-out removal of the Gimbal housing.<br />May I say to the professionals following these forums, my hat off to you for what you do. This was a FEAT very little room for hands and parts in there, thank GOD I was blessed with small hands and it was much, much easier.<br /><br />At any rate to the issue at hand.<br /><br />After replacing the bellows, U-Joints, various gaskets and O-rings and VERIFYING the allignment of drive shaft (used the current shaft after removal of U-Joint prior to installing the new U-Joint), the drive will NOT reinstall.<br /><br />Here is the issue, with the throttle in forward, verified the shift lever in lower unit is facing forward ready to meet the u shaped flange on the lower part of Gimbal assembly and keeping the outdrive (using external unit hooked to the top ring on outdrive so I won't have to hold it with shir strength). The drive will go in and connect to the motor spline assembly (turning motor with rench will turn prop) goes as far as (approx) 1" from proper seating position and then starts to bind (heavily) rocking the drive slightly up and down clearly shows the binding is being caused at the passege where the "shaft" housing meets the Gimbal hoousing.<br /><br />But I cannot see what is causing it. Can a kind soul, please give me some indication(s) as to what is going on?<br /><br />I had to remove the nut holding the main bearing and drive gear to remove the inner most U-Joint, could some slight burring on this nut flanges cause such binding?<br /><br />Thanks in advance, this is definately more complex then any OMC I ever dared to tackle in the past.<br /><br />Adriano

chiefmike58

Seaman
Re: Merc Outdrive reinstall

Adriano, sometimes the way the driveshaft from the outdrive is turned makes it want to bend at the universals creating a difficult installation. Turn it a quarter turn, check all mating areas for burrs, etc, grease up shaft, all in drive, and give it another go. Make sure your lifting device is aligning outdrive properly with bellhousing, and be prepared to push and rock for that final inch. Also be sure that shift cable end isn't getting jammed.

am1955

Cadet

Thanks Chiefmike58,<br />Would that angle still allow partial mating of the drive shaft to the flywheel? Since by turning the crankshaft I can turn the propeller (which I assume) is being turned by the drive shaft?<br />Adriano

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, I just did mine and it was a *****.... Just listen to what other say and keep trying... The hard part is it has to go up almost parallel to the other part on the boat.... Try turn the prop a little too that helps....<br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />Tallman

f_inscreenname

Commander

Had the same problem a couple of years ago. I found my problem (knowing it was lined up properly) was a kind of vapor lock. First i greesed the splins of the drive shaft with never seize. When the shaft would go into the coupler it would go in about the same(1" short)then the air pressure would build up inside the coupler and would have no place to go except through the greese to get out. Also to add to the problem the rubber rings that go around the drive shaft have to slide into the gimbel housing (that last inch). Like it was said befor and unless you moved the motor,shake,tug,push till you can get a bolt started then pull it in. Thats what I did,4 years and no problem.

am1955

Cadet

Thanks a million guy's for all the replies.<br />Having paid careful attention to read the knowledgeable guru's posts and take their advise to heart I was afraid of breaking something by the old adage "don't use force just get a bigger hammer" which at about 7pm Saturday eve (from 2pm) of standing in the heat I was about to do :)<br /><br />Adriano

Status
Not open for further replies.