Can't get to inside starter bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyck

Cadet
I know this seems like a silly question, but I can not reach the inside bolt on the starter of my 1980 Mercruiser sterndrive/Chevy350. The flywheel cover was pushed into the flywheel after trying to take off with a bilge that was pretty full. This caused an awful loud clanging noise that I thought was something much more serious. I have removed the bolts from the flywheel cover but noticed that there must be a hole that the starter goes through because the cover will not come off. If this was a car, I would simply climb under and remove the starter. It seems like I need four foot monkey arms to reach this one. Is there something I am missing??? I can't see having to remove the engine to remove the starter.. The motor is mounted in a 1980 Chris Craft, Scorpion 210, 21 foot long. Please excuse my ignorance. I am new to this boat stuff, but have rebuilt many Chevys, just not in a boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been fighting this for a whole day and finally came here to ask...

galaxy225

Cadet
Re: Can't get to inside starter bolt

hi i have merc3.0 liter....the reason why i am posting is because i think there both g.m. engines one of the bolts on mine was onthe bottom left and the other i had to go to the right side of the engine and from feeling under it i found the otherbolt....i used a socket wrench with a 3inch adepter and socket to get it off....i also had my brother hold his finger on the bolt so when i was feeling under the engine i could find it........i bet i did not help much but i tried........good luck....................

flashback

Captain

I have a 79 scorpion and the starter is hard to get to as the engine mount stringers are in the way. I have not worked on the starter with the engine in the boat but I think with the right combination of extentions and swivel on a socket wrench, you may be able to do it. as far as your reference to the fly wheel cover, I'm not sure what you are talking about. the only part on my boat that even could be called a flywheel cover is the bell housing, which I don't think you want to loosen as it is the only thing holding the rear of the engine to transom mount...good luck. If Trent sees this post, he probably can tell you a way to get to it .

Alyck

Cadet

Well...after a couple of hours I tried again. Armed with a small mirror,flashlight and an assortment of extensions, I finally got the socket on the bolt and got it loose. I pulled the starter and the flywheel cover and realized that this is just that "a cover". Instead of bending it back and chancing on it still rubbing (and having to do it all over again) I took my handy die grinder with a cutting wheel and removed the part that was bent. I hope this does not affect anything..if there is something that I am not aware of, please reply. I will put it back together in the AM.

Alyck

Cadet

Flashback...The "cover" that I am refering to is on the lower portion of the bell housing. The starter fits through it and it covers the opposite, lower side of the flywheel that the bell housing covers from behind. It is behind the oil pan.

flashback

Captain

Alcyk, I guess it has been removed from my boat. cause I don't see anything. I have heard of flywheels breaking up on race cars but i doubt if my top end of 4400 RPM is gonna tear the flywheel apart.. if it does, Im jumping...........

Status
Not open for further replies.