Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 water discharge

badboatowner

Recruit
Confused on where the water should be discharging from what I believe is called the "gimbal housing" ... running the motor with the rabbit ears on with a good flow the water predominately exits the starboard egress ... is that correct? The service tech over the phone says yes that is correct as you have a 4 cyl engine but I have no confidence ... my neighbor (small engine repair guy and a diy'er) says no it should be discharging equally (however, he has a 4.3 A1). I have an '06 with about 36 hours on it.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 water discharge

My '05 3.0L has always done the same as yours...most of the water exits the starboard side. All of the research that I have done says that this is normal.

Happy boating!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

They are called Idle Reliefs and yes, normally one will flow more water than the other...depends on which way boat leans.

.., and tell your neighbor to stick to repairing lawn mowers ;)

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just relax and enjoy your boat. If it's not overheating or otherwise doing something else wrong, don't worry about it. My 5.7 Alpha 1 throws water everywhere. I couldn't even tell you where it's coming from! LOL!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Both holes connect just inside the transom, the water exits which ever side is "easier". Absolutely no reason for concern.

Those ports are only there to help the engine idle when it is in the water - exhaust can bubble out close to the surface, rather than being forced down to the prop.

badboatowner

Recruit

Thanks folks - I really appreciate it ... awesome site this

180shabah

Rear Admiral

You should click around the adults only section. Lotd of great info, including free factory manuals in pdf format.

hookedagain

Recruit

You should click around the adults only section. Lotd of great info, including free factory manuals in pdf format.

Just joined the site, great info. Can't find the "adults only" sticky anywhere. Am I blind?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Just joined the site, great info. Can't find the "adults only" sticky anywhere. Am I blind?

Perhaps ;)
It's the first thread in the top of this forum.