Mercruiser info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will hopefully have my Merc 888 (Ford 302)back together in the next few days. Here are my questions:<br /><br />What is the recommended Spark Plug? Can I use Platinum?<br /><br />What is the best weight oil to use? Can I use a standard auto oil filter (Motorcraft FL-1A)?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser info needed

Jason...<br /><br />My 1980 MerCruiser manual states the proper spark plug depends on the serial number of your engine. It says:<br /><br />AC-MR43-T except as follows: 888 (only), Serial No. 4615130 thru 4616217 and above use AC-R42-T.<br />So look at your engine's serial number. If it's below 4615130 go with the AC-MR43-T. If it's above that...go with the AC-R42-T.<br /><br />As far as platinum plugs go? Beats the heck outta me! <br /><br />I'd think you'd do fine using SAE 30W SE motor oil. Someone once told me you shouldn't use a multi-viscosity oil...although I can't remember why that is. However, the manual doesn't come out and say that.<br /><br />According to this manual...your choice of engine oil depends upon "...the lowest anticipated temperature during the interval in which the oil will remain in the crankcase." Hmmm...<br /><br />As far as the oil filter goes...I can't find any specs for you engine in this manual, although it does specify NOT to use a double filter (filter within a filter).<br /><br />I hope this helps.<br /><br />Walt

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, you guys are quick. Thanks for the detailes info Walter. I'm just wanting platinum plugs so I don't have to change them as often. They look like a bear to get to.<br /><br />Looks like I need to pick up som 30 or 40 wt (HD I assume?) Pennzoil or Castrol. I'll have to look at the Motorcraft filter to see if it will work<br /><br />f_in, hopefully I can let you know how your cam rec. is after next weekend. I'm waiting for my bro. to get here over the holidays to assemble the motor. I'm about ready to start it myself.....

the oil filter will work just fine. the plugs you should pull after a few hours of run time anyway to see if they are oily. "new rings take awhile to seat during this time you may get some blow by that could foul the plugs." after that you could put any fancy plug in that you like. same with the oil, if you use a assembly lube plan on a complete oil change after the first hour. Especialy if you are using a new cam.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Good advice 69mastercraft. Why waist the money now. Wait for break in befor you get the good stuff to tweak it out. It is a must to change to oil right away,hot and a good running RPM for a couple of min's and it is ready. Good luck with the cam. Its better to do now then later plus its the cheepest H.P you can buy. If you have'nt done a rebuild befor its better to wait for your brother. There is a few things inside that if there are not installed right you will be sorry.You cant tighting a rod bolt over again after the motor has been installed. The last advice I can give is...After you get the bottom end of the motor put together and befor you put the oil pan on, go have lunch or something. When you come back check every rod and main bolts again. All it takes is one and rumm.... rumm..... BOOM ....clank...clank....clank...money,money,money!!!!!

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cam was actually one of the least expensive upgrades to my engine kit. The matching springs were pricy though. The hypertectic flat tops were on the steep side too.... I tried to build this thing top notch, hopefully I'm doing it right. The assembly lube mentioned brings up a point. It it better than using clean oil for assembly?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Lube is a must for the cam. If you do not use it you will wipe out your cam befor you get it warm.You should use it on every moving part. Glad to you see upgraded now. You will not be sorry. Northern Auto kicks ass dont they. They is so cheep you cant not upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.