Adding Flotation to i/o venture bass boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
After my disaster of sinking my boat I am ready to prevent it ever happening again. There is plenty of room in the engine compartment for flotation devices. Short of filling it up with life jackets, expanding foam, or something like that... any body got good advice for adding floation safeguards? I am definitely installing a float switch on my bilge pump & hopefully a floatation shut-off switch in my live wells. I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but I'm definitely looking for it. Thank God my fish finder is new and sealed very good.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Adding Flotation to i/o venture bass boat

Hey Randy<br /><br />Safety onboard is a subject to which many here can contribute.<br /><br />Regarding flotation in engine compartment I'd suggest your put in as much as you can without getting in the way of moving parts or servipoints.<br /><br />I'd use styro blocks cut into fittng shapes for easy removal. As those block will attempt to float upwards if water gets in, you must make this in a way, that it will be kept firmly down.<br /><br />You will get flotation equal to the amount of styro. Calculated in litres you'll get one kilo per liter styro volume. If you can fit in 500 litres of foam you'll gain 500 kg 'lift'.<br /><br />If it's an inboard engine, remember to provide sufficient ventilation, preferably a direct hose from outside air, to carb intake + some general compartment ventilation.<br /><br />Your bilge pump should be the largest capacity you can imagine ever would be needed....

D

DJ

Randy,<br /><br />UU gives good advice.<br /><br />You need to put stand pipes in your livewells. The stand pipe would work just like the ones in toilets. If the pump runs, the water reaches a certain level and then just drains out the standpipes.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Djohns & UU. It is weird to me that what appears should be an overflow outlet is where the water is pumped in. I really don't know what swamped my boat. It could have been rain ... but I doubt that since it was not raining hard for the two hours, just a regular old rain. I don't think I developed a major leak either. I can only assume that I left the pump on to the live wells. It sure is a pisser whatever the cause. I've considered using the blue or pink insulation polystyrene but since I don't know what's under the floor I'm shaky about drilling holes in it to install hold down straps. Sure wish I had a shop drawing of this bugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.