Audio Warning System

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys

Quick and easy question, I have a 1995 Regal 182 4.3 mercuiser bowrider.
Can any one tell me the following.

Does this boat come with an engine audio alarm system for the temp and oil etc?

if it does, how does this work? and how do I know if mine is working?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Audio Warning System

Yes it does...

The alarm sensors are switches, and there are 3 of them. One for low oil pressure, one for high temperature, one for low drive oil. When the switch is tripped (alarm condition) it provides a short to the engine block (ground).

When the key is on power flows to the alarm buzzer on one wire and the other wire is connected to all three alarm switches. If any one of them closes (goes to ground) it completes the circuit and the alarm buzzer sounds... That's why when you turn the key on you get an alarm immediately... That's because the oil pressure is low.

Any more questions? :D

Chris......

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so in simple terms,your saying

1. That at anytime if the motor should overheat, the audio alarm should sound so that you can switch off the motor thus saving from any major damage.

2. If the oil has no pressure eg Bad oil pump oil low oil the Audio Alarm will go off so that you can switch motor off, thus saving from any major damage.

3. If there is no or low oil in the drive oil reservoir the Audio alarm will sound saving any major damage to the leg.

Is this correct?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

so in simple terms,your saying

1. That at anytime if the motor should overheat, the audio alarm should sound so that you can switch off the motor thus saving from any major damage.

2. If the oil has no pressure eg Bad oil pump oil low oil the Audio Alarm will go off so that you can switch motor off, thus saving from any major damage.

3. If there is no or low oil in the drive oil reservoir the Audio alarm will sound saving any major damage to the leg.

Is this correct?

Yes.......AND in addition, when the key is on with the engine NOT running (I.E. no oil pressure) the alarm will sound.

If the wire to the alarm is frayed and touches ground somewhere, the alarm will sound.

Cheers,

Rick

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and not ALL hulls actually had an alarm kit even though the engine had the switches.
horns cost money.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

quoted from my original mercruiser operation manual that came with my Regal after mentioning water temp, oil pressure and drive fluid level.

"IMPORTANT: Warning buzzer also will sound if ignition key is turned to RUN position and engine is not started within 7 to 14 seconds. this allows the operator to test the warning buzzer, which should be done at least once every 5 hours of operation."

my buzzer works this way. NOT immediately as you turn the key to the on position.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

"IMPORTANT: Warning buzzer also will sound if ignition key is turned to RUN position and engine is not started within 7 to 14 seconds. this allows the operator to test the warning buzzer, which should be done at least once every 5 hours of operation."

my buzzer works this way. NOT immediately as you turn the key to the on position.

Yes, some of them had an additional timing circuit that didn't do anything when you initially turned the key on.....just another thing to "break"

It just depends on how they're wired.

achris

and not ALL hulls actually had an alarm kit even though the engine had the switches.
horns cost money.

With those engines the alarm buzzer was supplied by Mercury in the harness and instrument kit as part of the engine package.

Chris.......

achris

quoted from my original mercruiser operation manual that came with my Regal after mentioning water temp, oil pressure and drive fluid level.

That timing circuit was on engines up to 1993 1/2, from late 93 the timing circuit was dropped.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

With those engines the alarm buzzer was supplied by Mercury in the harness and instrument kit as part of the engine package.

Chris.......

Agreed!

The buzzer and wiring is there...but the necessary engine 'switches' were missing.

An easy upgrade...just add the engine switches, and attach the provided wires!

Happy boating!