Hydrofoil on 22 footer

Status
Not open for further replies.

altjimwilson

Cadet
I recently installed a Stingray hydrofoil on my 22ft Larson (260HP - Alpha). <br /><br />The folks at Westmarine said this would work on any size boat. It actually did make a little difference on my boat (little quicker out of the hole and little bit faster planing). <br /><br />However, I was told that a hydrofoil was only for small boats, and that I could damage my cavitation plate because of the size of my boat?<br /><br />I checked on the Stingray web page, and they advertise a Stingray Jr. for smaller boats and the standard Stingray for all other boats - this would seem to indicate that the Stingray is OK for any size boat - of course the bigger the boat the less benefit this will give you.<br /><br />Anybody have thoughts on this - is a Stingray hydrofoil OK on a 22 footer?<br /><br />Thanks!

Scooby

Seaman
Re: Hydrofoil on 22 footer

I Installed a stingray on my 26' sea ray (5.7 merc/alpha1) and it's been on there 3 years without a problem and it's a 3 ton boat. Made a big difference in planning speeds and turns and such. I can back off of the trim tabs more with the stingray installed which cuts down on drag in one place but adds it in another. I like it though.<br /><br /> The stingray junior is for something like 40hp and below.

Trent

Captain
Re: Hydrofoil on 22 footer

It will be fine.. No worries. Iv seen them on big boats all the time. It does seem to work better on the smaller underpowered boats. I personally like them but others do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.