Merc oil vs Mobil 1

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc oil vs Mobil 1

That is an Amsoil advertisement and also a reason I would never buy their products because of the sneaky way they advertise.

So, you didn't catch all of the Amsoil advertisement on the top of that page? It was obviously sponsored by them, so it would come as no surprise that their product came out the winner.
Now, we can't be so sure that the test was a setup put together by Amsoil. They make good products, and maybe they did legitimately come out the winner.

Just sayin. Use whatever oil you want. They all have minimum standards they have to meet. Any of them will be fine as long as you use the correct weight and change it regularly.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is an Amsoil advertisement and also a reason I would never buy their products because of the sneaky way they advertise.

LOL, Amsoil propaganda and I fell for it.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

I might just treat my Mercruiser with some Valvoline pure synthetic VR1 20-50 racing oil. It's easy to find and it actually has elevated levels of zinc in it. Since they do, they say clearly on the bottles, ?Not Street Legal?, which is because they will actually ruin the cats on cat equipped cars. Zinc is considered one of the main additives that gives extra protection against engine wear.

At $8 per quart I know my engine will be very happy, hell she'll probably even give me a little more HP to show her appreciation.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I'm putting a different set of heads on my engine and just examined the flat tappet cam a few minutes ago. first 100 hours were on rotella without any additive, etc... was broken in with double springs (130 and 380 I think), etc... but using break in additive and burried in molylube when assembled. Broke the cam in and then drained the oil.

Cam looks great... as do the cylinder walls and everything else I looked at, could still see the crosshatches from honing, etc...

note that I run this engine up to 6000 rpms routinely and have held it at 5500 under a heavy load for relatively long periods of time (10's of minutes or longer running almost flat out).

I swithed over to mobile one 15-50 and lucas additive last year.

Just another data point to consider...