Mercruiser dies after running 15 mins.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Ok this is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyways.. I hope someone can help.. I got a mercruiser Alpha I, 350. When I get out on the water the boat runs great for about 15mins or so depending on throttle position. More throttle less time.....etc.. then it sputters and dies like it is out of gas. I can go and unscrew the fuel/water seperator and put it back on, the boat fires up great and runs fine again for 15mins or so.... Then the whole process starts over.... Any ideas????? <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />K. Miller

chiefmike58

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser dies after running 15 mins.....

Tallman, it would appear to be a fuel delivery problem. I would check lines, fuel pump, all filters and separaters, carbs, water in fuel,etc..

chiefmike58

Seaman

One more thing, make sure fuel cell breather passage is clear.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Ok sounds like a plan. I pretty much figured that... Just needed to hear it I guess..<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Tallman

D

DJ

Tallman,<br /><br />Good advice. Two things to concentrate on.<br /><br />1. The tank vent.<br />2. The anti siphon check valve in the fuel to engine line.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Where this anti siphon check valve in the fuel to engine line.<br />Never heard of that, the fuel line looks just like regular hose that goes to tank and Fuel water Seperator.<br /><br />Tallman

Had the VERY same problem about 3 years ago. Found a intank fuel filter was clogged. It was a wire mesh filter inside of the fuel pick-up "pipe' that goes into the fuel tank. I removed the 90 deg elbow that screwed into top of tank and when I looked down inside found this filter screen was clogged. It has been removed........never a problem since. There are lots of filters in my system, did not need this one too. (76, 888 mercruiser)<br /><br />russ

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks russellackland <br />One more thing to check...<br />Looks like I will have a busy weekend.....<br />Maybe someday I will get to actually use my new boat...<br /><br />HA HA<br /><br />Tallman

Status
Not open for further replies.