cross refernce for 78 OMC 140hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calabogieboy

Recruit
I may need a bushing changed on my distributor because it seems to have too much play in it, that is if you grasp the rotor and move it from side to side there is more movement than I would expect. My questions are, is there an automotive engine that I can try and scavenge a replacement from? Secondarily if there is, is there an HEI distributor that I should look for to eliminate the points/condenser setup? Maybe a certain amount of play is O.K.? Although it was only running on three cylinders when I got it in the water after paying a shop to tune it up we got it to go by making major timing changes, as compared to the way the shop set it up. Open to suggestions but it seemed like the play in the distributor shaft was possibly the root of the problem?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cross refernce for 78 OMC 140hp?

Can't tell you which auto shares the part. Just want to draw your attention to the fact, that parts relating to anything with sparks etc. for marine use MUST be certified for this purpose.<br /><br />Your engine is sitting in a closed compartment and special insulation is needed. Gas fumes are highly explosive and it only takes one little electric spark to blow the whole thing up.

D

DJ

Re: cross refernce for 78 OMC 140hp?

Calabogeyboy,<br /><br />The endine was a Chevy II. However, the brand of distributor is more important. Most distributors can be rebushed.<br /><br />An auto electric shop can also test the distributor to see if the run out is excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.