Sand in inboard engine after being swamped

Status
Not open for further replies.

RsDad

Recruit
I accidentally posted this on the wrong subject board.<br />My sons master craft (1992)was swamped during a strorm while beached over night.<br /><br />There is sand on the dip stick and in th oil filter. Is there any way to cure this wihtout a complete overhaul?

Mish_Mish

Cadet
Re: Sand in inboard engine after being swamped

Step one: I would NOT CRANK it until oil is fully drained and engine flushed down with some major amount of diesel fuel. <br />step two: Pull all the plugs out and see if your engine cranks freely + wash all cylinders and carb barrels from sand.<br />Step three: New oil + filter and than try to crank it, but after you start it for a few minutes change the filter again to remove all the sand leftovers. <br /><br />Just a little bit of sand should be filtered out by the filter and will not damage the engine.<br /><br />Step four: if your engine runs well, trade with me on my Bayliner, because I need ski boat very much:)))

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

RsDad,<br /><br />I figured that is what you were talking about in your other post but wasn't for sure.<br />I hate to tell you this but here goes. If there was sand in the oil filter, that means someone has either cranked this engine or tried to crank it since it was swamped.<br />Sand is a engine killer. It doesn't take but just a little bit to wipe out an engine. What I would suggest is completly tearing the engine down, then cleaning and inspecting it. If you are in luck all you will wind up with will be paying for gasket sets and labor. <br />You may get some easier suggestions but if it were mine I'd do what I just mentioned.<br /><br />Good luck :)

flashback

Captain

I have to agree with downsouth, if you have sand in the filter, then you have sand in the internal passage ways and thats big trouble...

f_inscreenname

Commander

I 3rd that. Complete overhaul period. You will never get all the sand out. Also... The sand got in there with the help of water and where the sand is now (cylinder walls) there will be rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.