OMC 800 sterndrive grinding into gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad

Recruit
I just replaced the upper gear case bearings and unfronze shifter cable that was stuck and replaced water pump in my 1979 OMC 800 outdrive w/350 Chevy, 260 hp. It will shift into reverse ok but shifting into forword it grinds. Acts like it is not sychanizing. I took it apart and tryed adjusting shifting cables to meet measurements from the book. It still grinds into gear. It seems to do it worse when the prop is on. This Pursuit has been setting for about 2 years. The engine runs great. Can you give me some ideas on how to fix the grinding.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC 800 sterndrive grinding into gear

Unless things have been changed from the original package,you have a hydro mechanical lower gearcase.This gearcase had only a short run from 78 to 83 when OMC decided it didn't work and went to fully mechanical stringers.It operates by a pump at the front of the gearcase generating pressure and the shift mech. opening or closing valves to move the clutch dog to the needed gear.You can convert this to a fully mech. lower but it will require a complete lower change over. Parts for that hydro, to my knowledge, are nonexistant because of the short run and the problems that arose.There are still some hydros around still working that I know of and a person familiar with them could make it all work for you if you have the luck in finding one.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC 800 sterndrive grinding into gear

Are you sure you have it adjusted correctly. The neutral area should be at least 21/32 and should be centered when attached to shifter. Also could shifter cables be crossed???

Status
Not open for further replies.