I really need HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahyland

Recruit
hello:<br /><br />I am a boater with no real engine understanding. Here's my issue: boat housed in NJ on the bay, was just summerized. First time out, boat stalled and would start but when gear engaged, it would stall again. got towed back in.<br />(Same thing occurred last year, I added dry gas and got the fuel filter changed. worked OK after that.)<br /><br />After I added dry gas after the towing episode, it ran OK for 35 minutes and then I heard a tapping noise for 10 seconds or so,i pulled back on the throttle and then it backfired, died. I let it sit for 15 minutes, it started up but ran rough.<br /><br />Can't find the guy who summerized it and I'm frustrated!!! don't know what to do.<br /><br />any suggestions on what to do next? A diagnosis??I have company coming this weekend who are expecting a ride!!<br /><br />thanks.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: I really need HELP!!!

It sounds like you have water in your fuel, this can happen when the boat sits for a long time with the tank low on fuel, should always store with a full tank. Sounds like you had the same prob last year and got it going by changing the fuel filter and putting fresh fuel in. You probably have water in the carb fuel bowl now and through the carb jets. When an engine leans out it can backfire, this can happen if water gets in the jet. It will also make it run rough. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I would do if it was mine. I would pull the carb and clean it out, you would probably need a carb kit as the gaskets will not survive taking the carb apart.<br />If this is not an option you may be able to add gas line antifreeze to your fuel and hope that it clears the water. I would not hold my breath on that happening, but if it did work its a cheap fix.<br />If you are not comfortable rebuilding a carb I strongly suggest you leave it to a qualified marine mechanic. Its not a terrible job but easy to screw up. Good luck. :eek:

jahyland

Recruit
Re: I really need HELP!!!

Dear DavesWaves,<br /><br />Thanks so much for the ideas and I'm gonna get the carb taken care of by a qualified mechanic. I really appreciated the guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.