351 engine inboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberry

Cadet
my friend has a 351 engine in his run about boat, does the engine run backwards than a reguler car motor, he tried to set time , and put ooints in. thank's jberry

D

DJ

Re: 351 engine inboard

jberry,<br /><br />Ford did manufacture engines that turned both ways. It would be very unusual for you to have a counterclockwise engine in a single engine application. Unless someone changed it.<br /><br />It is possible. Which way does the starter turn it over? <br /><br />Changing points wouldn't make any difference. It would still be done the same way.<br /><br />As far as timing goes, you will still need to set it at spec. BTDC. You'll know if you are going the wrong way.

f_inscreenname

Commander

The last 351 ford I had turned the right way. Like the man says the points go in the same way. Its just the wires that go the dist cap that will get you screwed up.

Homerr

Commander

A 352 in a boat?<br /><br />Isn't that a big block? A real old one at that...<br /><br />H.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Homerr, if you feel that a 352 is big for a boat, what would you think then of my 460? :) Yup, good old Ford 460 in my 26-footer. Hell, I don't want a smaller engine, the current one gets a good workout whenever I take my 4-ton "lil' toy" on the lake :eek: <br /><br />Have fun and be safe!<br />Lou

Homerr

Commander

Sorry, that's not what I meant.<br /><br />He was saying it was a '352' <br />I was pointing out that a 352 is a big-block, and not a small block like a 302 or 351 Windsor etc...<br /><br />Heck no, I agree with stuffin' any size engine your boat (and yur ba**s) can handle!<br /><br />Like my Grandad told me: You can stuff a washing machine motor up a ducks *ss if you set your mind to it!<br /><br />LOL!!<br /><br />Wish I had a 460. Darn nice engines. I run 390's 351 Clevelands, 400's, 351 Windsors, and a V6 in my 2001 Ranger... <br />I even have a Nissan van that was assembled at a Ford plant...<br /><br />Nope..I hate Fords... NOT!<br /><br />H.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 460 in my old retired Ryder moving van. I'd rather have a case of the clap.

Status
Not open for further replies.