95 Merc 454 Alternator/Voltage Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcguire

Cadet
Having a voltage issue with this 454. I have a brand new marine alternator. It is the 5 wire - two exciter wires pigtails and three wire bolt on.

The voltage gauge is pulling a negative voltage on revving the motor. The motor will not stay running when disconnecting the battery.

Can I get a schematic of the wiring of this alternator (more specifically wire colors and which studs they attach to) for this?

Or, is it something else? It reads 12 volts before starting. When at idle it reads 12 volts - I think it should be closer to 13-14 volts when idleing and maybe close to 14.5 at higher rpm's...It draws down to around 9-10 volts when revving the motor.

I am using a good hot, new optimum gel battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chuck

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95 Merc 454 Alternator/Voltage Issue

Never seen a 5 wire
GM Single wire Orange and Black
GM 3 wire Orange, Black , Red, purple(black)
NEVER disconnect a battery to check the charging system WITH AN ALTERNATOR

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Yep... if it's more than 3 wires then something is wrong, or your year of the engine/alternator/charging system is incorrect and you have an old fashion seperate alternator/regulator rectifier.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

perhaps its the 4 wire altornator.
two exciter wires pigtailed from B+?

cmcguire

Cadet

My alternator has two excite wires red and purple with bullet terminals that plug into the wire harness with bullet connectors and the color of the wire matches. I know I have those wired correctly.

Now I also have 3 other wires that go onto the alternator.

NOTE: I also have a black wire that comes out of the harness, but have no idea where this wire could go on the alternator...?!? If you count the black, I have 4 wires plus the two exciter wires(purple and red).

2 of the wires bolt on, the third wire has a push on terminal that pushes onto one of the studs on the back of the alternator.

There are more studs than there are wires.

Any access to Schematics?

Thanks.

Chuck

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There's factory manuals in the Aduts Only section at the top of this forum...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is from Service Manual #16, item #2 in the drawing is the automatic choke coil.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8

ghostgixxer

Cadet

My alternator has two excite wires red and purple with bullet terminals that plug into the wire harness with bullet connectors and the color of the wire matches. I know I have those wired correctly.

Now I also have 3 other wires that go onto the alternator.

NOTE: I also have a black wire that comes out of the harness, but have no idea where this wire could go on the alternator...?!? If you count the black, I have 4 wires plus the two exciter wires(purple and red).

2 of the wires bolt on, the third wire has a push on terminal that pushes onto one of the studs on the back of the alternator.

There are more studs than there are wires.

Thanks.

Chuck
I know it’s an old thread! I also got issues figuring out the wiring .. especially the 2 lil wires you said "connected & the main wiring harness " those wires has been cutter short and heat discoloured them !! Any idea what colour they were ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Guys, 10 year old thread. Read the forum rules, start a new thread of your own.

Chris............
iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.