outdrive install...

nrob84

Seaman
so i have a 87 wellcraft with a 470 merc engine with a se106 outdrive, i replaced the gimbal bearing and now im trying to install the outdrive, i know it is tight, i rotated the prop and the shaft slid into the motor and went on aout another inch but i can get it to the point where the threads on the studs are inside the outdrive holes but then it stops. tried tapping on it with a rubber hammer alittle but didnt wanna budge. oh yea. the 2 grooves on the drive shaft, are those supposed to have o rings in them? or no... is it normal for it to be this tight? any tricks? THANX for any help!!! this forum is a life saver.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: outdrive install...

The 'o' ring grooves should have 'o' rings in them.... They are normally tight, especially with new 'o' rings on. I use a size 11 installation tool... :D:D (my right boot)

Chris......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Installing a new bearing needs to be aligned with the coupler using the alignment bar
The bearing swivels in the race and you move it around with the bar checking the alignment.
Once the bar slips in easily ,your good to go.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

+1
Sounds like the bearing needs to be aligned. Grease the end of the alignment tool, where the grease is pushed off is where its too tight. The tool should slide in/out of the coupler fairly easily.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Maybe you guys ^^^ didn't see this...

... i rotated the prop and the shaft slid into the motor and went on about another inch ....

The bearing's ok... He's up against the 'o' rings....

Chris........

nrob84

Seaman

well i tried kicking it a few times, hmmm not budging, im gonna try alittle more, but it is 10:30 im sure my neighbor hates me by now.. if i cant get it in the next few times im gonna pick up the tool from a friend in the morning and double check the alignment... damn things bustin my balls....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

When everything is correct you will be able to push it on to within a 1/8 inch.
no kicking, No 6x6 posts, No car bumper, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You did check the alignment first right?

nrob84

Seaman

i didnt personally because i ordered a tool and it wont be here till next mon... so i had a friend who works on boats for a living check it on his lunch break today and he said it was good... however i am convinced he just didnt wanna adjust it cuz it does NOT go in... damn thing made me break a sweat. sooo im going to pick up the tool tomorrow morning and check it for myself.... just goes to show you, if you want something done right do it yourself...

cr2k

Captain

Yea, if the good ol' MerKick don't do it something is amiss.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Even if it does go in, it doesn't mean the alignment is good. It means that it might be close but you are going to have more chance of ruining the coupler.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

dont rush it or you will be pulling engine to replace coupler, so get the bar and align, it will take longer the 5 min.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

had this prob a few weeks ago--i did use an alignment tool and still had a prob. where you hang up is a function of which o-ring is sticking. i've now had it hang on both the first and second o-rings. take both the o-rings off and re-install. it should then go on easily. also make sure you're not catching on the shift fork. if all is well, as chris says, proceed with mercruiser special tool #11.

nrob84

Seaman

thank you for all your input, i did get the tool, checked the alignment for myself, figures, its close but off a bit, sooo i adjusted the motor till it slid in REAL easy and the grooves were good. as you all said i put the out drive on, rotated the prop to align the splines, then gave it a little "merkick" and WOW its on... finished up a few things and WENT FISHING!!! didnt catch a whole lot, few skate and scup. and a few ice cold cans of beer... but anyway seems good now. thanks for ALL your help. got another question but that is for another post. see you all there!!!!!